Sunday, February 9, 2014

From Sydney

Dear Family and Friends,

I, Sister Powell in San Jose California, have had a rough week. Hahaha. I am sooooooo tired. 

And I strongly DISLIKE the word "you're perfect".

Haha.

P-day was filled with having to work at this thing called "Creche". We had to set up a bunch of little nativity scenes from around the world. We then went to Kipi and N'a's home for a family home evening. There was a man that would cause stress and a lot of grief: A Mexican named Jesus. 

Jesus is Kipi's employee and has been attending the Tongan ward. The Spanish Elders have been teaching him. We were a little confused why we were invited to his Baptism Interview because we didn't know he was going to be baptized. Surprise! And Kipi wanted me to speak so I bore my testimony in Tongan: fail. Hahaha. I have no idea what I said. But the chicken was super good.

Tuesday was fun in the beginning. We went to Maria's house and taught her the plan of salvation. We have been trying to get her to pray out loud. And she did! I had to help in like a kid in the begginning, but then she went off on her own. The spirit was super strong and it was a super pretty prayer. After that, my companion got super mad at the world again. I was super confused. But prayer super works and so does the art of companionship. I gave 100%. 

Tuesday we also had to help the Samoan Sisters out, they had a meeting in Sunnyvale which is 20 minutes away so one of them went with us and the other went to Sunnyvale. We had a meeting at our Chapel my companion wanted to go to, so went to our building, but when we got there she said meetings are a waste of time so she ate food instead. Kalafai my foot. Haha. But I didn't want a grumpy companion (since it was already happening) so I didn't say anything.

To save time since we have to park twenty minutes away and walk home, we parked a bit early so we could get our car and pick up Sister Salima in from one of our members homes. So we walking in the cold. And some reason my companion got super angry again at me and just ignored me. To make matters worse, we had to pick up Sister Salima at the building we were at before eating. Haha. Ironic, ne? So we had to run!

That night, I wouldn't let us plan because the spirit wasn't there, and I wanted to know what was up. If there was something I needed to do. She just said "I was perfect". So she went to take a shower. But she came out and she apologized and explained what was going on at home. Pray for her family! 

So the next day, I fasted for her family. And I prayed all day. For comfort for my companion and for me. And really prayer works, and Satan works too. 

Jesus is important, I didn't bring up that little Mexican Man in the beginning for nothing.

Jesus became our baptismal date and investigator on Wednesday. Faka ofa. Kipi didn't want Jesus to be baptized in the Spanish Ward, he wanted him to be baptized in the Tongan ward. It was horrible. 

And to make matters worst, I had been walking in the cold all night because I had to be a saint and give my jacket to a homeless little boy wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Haha. David was a cool kid though and he worked that girly jacket:) So now I have a cold. But it was all worth it.

Friday was a day that Sister Powell took charge and didn't let Sister Funaki talk on the phone at all. Cause Jesus was adding more stress to her.

Friday was a day that Sister Powell cried a whole lot. I had been praying all week to love my companion, and I have. I do love her so much, but that day Satan tried something different and I hated myself. Something happened where I had to stand up for what was right and someone got super mad. And I felt like a horrible person. I couldn't love myself and I just felt like going home. Usually when things happen I just wish I was in Brazil, but Friday, I wanted my Daddy and Mommy. But I realized something, I wanted Heavenly Father to be proud of me like he is for my Savior, and Jesus Christ didn't care what other people thought.  He only cared what the Father wanted. And I knew what Heavenly Father wanted and I stood my ground. It hurt.


I have learned something, that you can only change yourself. I take criticsm like a champ now. I take hurtful things and I don't lash out. I might have cried a whole bunch, but I said a super long prayer in front of everyone, just knelt down and prayed and prayed. And I felt strong arms lift me up and I didn't want to go home anymore. 

Obedience is the key. If I am not obedient, I don't secure blessings for my family. I want my family to be forever. I am working hard out here. I hope you feel that at home! 

I love y'all so much:)

I just want y'all to know that my companion is beautiful, and loving. She loves a huge amount, and she is hardworking. She is going through a rough time right now, but she is doing better. She needs love and support, so please pray for her:)

Love, 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment