Sunday, February 9, 2014

From Sydney

SO! I have moved to a different apartment complex! Moved to East Palo Alto. Fun fun fun!

This week was CRAZY!

On Monday, we had a nice normal P-Day. That night we went to a birthday party for an eight year old named Louisa. We showed up to the party and we were the only ones there. It was the saddest birthday party I have ever been too. But her mother, Mele, is super sweet and the Old Man she is a VaiVai for bought Louisa KFC, the feast that any 8 year old desires. She is such a sweet girl and has been through a lot.

Mele is super inspirational. She went to a mission in Tonga when she was 17 and was on her mission for like 4 years because President Kimball kept telling her that she needed to stay longer. She got married to this man who was a convert, but after the years (and having two daughters), he couldn't stand his father being mad at him and not being a preacher for the church in New Zealand, so he just went a COMPLETE course of life, and stopped going to church. Mele decided when she was younger that she wouldn't go through her husband falling away from the church so she left her husband to Arizona. And she has been supporting her kids and foster kids ever since. You should here her talk, and bear her testimony. 

Tuesday was a good day. There is this lady named Maria who ABSOLOUTLY loves Sister Funaki. I don't think she is all there, and she is definitly a hypocondriac, but we love Maria. And she is super lonely. She loves to give Sister Funaki clothes and just talk and talk to her. It is hilarious. Sister Funaki zones out so easily and her phrase that she says over and over is: "That great." in a super bored tone. I think it is hilarious. But we we asked her how the gospel has helped her life and she just started bawling and telling her conversion story and how she has made so much friends and how she hasn't felt empty anymore and how she just wishes that everyone could just accept the gospel because she doesn't know how they can live without the emptiness. It was actually really adorable. And we just testified that God loves her very much and how special she was. 

The beautiful thing is, is that he really does love all his children. It's fabulous and awesome. I felt that love that he had for her so strongly in that visit.

Wednesday was actually a really weird day. We went to EPA that day to visit our Baptismal Date Arno (not to be confused with the name Arnold), but we had to go to our dinner with the Elders but the Elders were stuck so the men went to go get them while I was using the restroom. I walk out the restroom, and the teenage girls and my companion why jamming out to loud (not gospel related whatsoever music) and I just froze. I was like...uhhh?? What's going on? Why aren't we having a lesson why we are waiting? Why does look like a hang out and not two servants of the Lord helping His children come closer to Christ? I didn't know what to do especially when Sister Funaki told them that I was cool and I wouldn't mind listening. I grabbed my scripture bag and tried to get them to get the hint that I was going to teach them something, but they kept on doing what they were doing. So I just told them to turn off the music. Haha. And Vina thought I was cool for saying something. She wasn't offended whatsoever. And then the Elders showed up.

That night I told Sister Funaki we could've taught a lesson. She got super mad at me. Like really mad. She was all like "welcome to the Tongan program" like Tongans wouldn't want us to be obedient. But I was so calm, and just told her that they would understand and the only way we could have success is if we are obedient. And she calmed down and said she just didn't get uncomfortable and she never does. SO, companionship goal is to get her to be uncomfortable. Haha.

She is such a good missionary. Y'all should watch her teach. And I am glad we had that talk because it's crazy how motivated she has been at wanting to be obedient. It makes me feel a whole lot better. I love her so much. And I have grown so much being her companion. She is just so used to being the one attacked and blamed that she gets defensive. She is so funny and so hard working. 

Thursday was craycray. I did the mission vision at Zone conference, which I actually didn't mess up on to bad. I memorized it just in case the screen went black. It was actually pretty fun. I love the leaders that we have. President Watkins and Sister Watkins are the most giving people in the world. I love them a whole bunch.

Friday we actually visited Arno and he is doing so good. He is super pumped for his baptism and so is his mom. It's really cute to watch. And they got a puppy. 

Saturday was a super good day for just not having anyone to teach. We taught this girl from Hawaii that I call Lay because her name is super hard to say. And she was a miracle because everyone else we visited wasn't answering. And she said we were inspiration because she was just thinking if she serve a mission and then she saw us walking outside. I love when Heavenly Father answers prayers. I pray everyday that I am an answer to someone's prayer. Then taught Sepa who was also another miracle. We taught her about the Book of Mormon. I love teaching about the Book of Mormon. The spirit is always so strong when you teach from it and about it. 

Sunday was Stake Conference. Before Stake Conference we went to this lesson with this lady that speaks only Tongan. And I taught the lesson. Haha. One sentance about the Book of Mormon in Tongan and a very sloppy prayer in Tonglish. But she loved it so much. I have learned any effort matters. Stake Conference was supppppper good. IT was all in Enlgish THANK GOODNESS! And all about sacrifice. I just want to be so good now. And we saw some missionaries from a different mission. Yay! And then it folks. I moved this morning and now live in 3 Newell Ct #311 East Palo Alto CA 95303.

I love y'all so much! I know the church is true and that obedience brings miracles.

Love, 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment