Sunday, February 9, 2014

From ALex

This week has been the craziest/best week ever. I can't believe I have my visa. But I am so grateful for a mistake that in the end wasn't even a mistake :)

The story:

Monday morning I wake up slightly sad which is surprising because the day before was awesome! But of course I am wondering what in the world is going on. I know syd had been receiving updates about changes in the Houston consulate and I was wondering why in the I wasn't because I should. And somehow I knew something was wrong so I decided to email syds lady, amber weaver, here is our conversation:


"Hello, my name is Sister Alexis Powell.
My twin has been receiving updates from you about new changes in the Houston consulate. And I haven't received anything. Is there anything that I should do?

Sister Powell"

Reply

"Sister Powell,

Thank you for verifying this.  You do not need to do anything at this time.  This only pertains to your sister because she currently does not have a visa.

Thanks again,
Amber weaver"

To this I am confused because I am like umm.. Aren't I? Which I ask. Haha 

"Our records show that you already have a visa & are already serving in Brazil - correct?

If this is the case - that is why you are not receiving any update."

To this my whole pad freaks out! (4 sister missionaries) what do they mean that they think I am in Brazil?! Hahaha I couldn't stop laughing I thought it was so funny!! 

 "I'm currently serving in the New York south mission waiting for my visa. Does that mean I have it? I'm sorry if you've received this email a couple times. My ipad is not working."

No reply.

So I call president and tell him the story to which he says go to the office and get to the bottom of this right away. So we basically run to the office. Sister Bottomfield is all business and calls salt lake to which we find out they are freaking out as well because they thought I have been in Brazil for sometime and that they must have assigned me a visa even though I didn't really have one. Which makes so much sense! I have been so confused. They said everyone is working on it and they would let us know when the figure it out. Honestly I'm not even mad just so happy that now they are working on my visa! And so grateful that I came to New York. So we go to target where I get this email. "I will be calling the mission to discuss your paperwork." To which I'm like yay!! I get to do a FBI clearance and redo all this things! I'm so happy! So I get a call from the office and is nothing that I thought sister Bottomfield says they have my visa!! I can honestly say I have never felt so many emotions in one moment. My first thoughts went to syd and then to me leaving and then to my Brazil. And to that I had just witnessed a miracle.

This is a miracle! Most likely I would have never gone to New York City and honestly God knew I needed NYC. I needed the people, this mission president, the missionaries. I needed every experience and I will always be eternally grateful for a lady who had a mind slip and forgot to send my visa. Most peopl oils be so mad if their visa sat on a desk for months but I'm not at all. I know this was God, I know this was His plan. NYC is my sacred grove. It is here that I learned who God is. It is here that I learned that his will and timing is so much better then mine. It is here that I learned obedience is the only way. I learned how important the gospel is and I learned how to work. And honestly I have never been so sad to leave a place in my life. I love it here so much.

I love my mission.

This week has been all over. Tuesday we had district meeting and also it was deep clean day. So spent a long time cleaning our pad. (Apartment) after we finally met a less active that we have been looking up all transfer! Her name is Sister La Rosa. And she is so amazing! She is just so tired. But she wants to go to the temple! So we are going to work with her :)

Wednesday was good as well. But it was so so so cold! And it was raining. I couldn't even walk by the end! We ended up doing weekly planning and then we went and did look ups. It was the first time I ever was sad that a door shut in my face :( 2 weeks ago we looked up a less active and these cute kids came to the door and then the dad came and said his wife's as busy so come by next week. So we came by again  and the kids were so excited to see us! But the lady said she wanted to be a don't contact :( I saw all the blessings she was throwing away for her kids! And the kids were so sad to see us go! I just wanted to cry.

Thursday was awesome though! We had a turkey bowl and it was way fun. Our zone won! Whoop! For dinner we went to the Perez families home. I have never eaten anything like the food I ate! It was way good though! 

Friday was awesome as well. We did a hot chocolate sweep again. We also saw Adalys. She is going though a super hard time right now but I know she is going to be okay :) I can see her getting baptized pretty fast!

Saturday was so busy! Which is so nice. We had an appt with a Murray family. The situation with them is super complicated. But I know they will get baptized! And we went to east New York to meet with a less active. I love sister hope! That night we had a skype lesson with a girl in Brazil! That was cool. It made me excited.

Sunday was amazing. So funny story! I was getting a tithing slip for a super old lady when I was walking down the stairs and all the sudden I see Travis Trahan! I was like oh my gosh! Hahaha I have no idea how he found me! But it was awesome seeing that boy! I am so proud of him. We taught relief society and it went really well. It was weird telling everyone I am leaving. One and gones are super weird. But that night we went to a baptism. It was so beautiful. The son baptized his mom. :) we went to the Delery family after that and ended up teaching the daughters boyfriend! After we found a guy name Scott. I offered him so cookies but instead it got his number and an appt! Whoop! Way awesome! But funny story. Haha so president put two of the most paranoid people together. We walk home at night talking on the phone that no one is ever on. Haha I mean we are talking to a girl who asked for a window hammer just in case she ever fell off a bridge. Anyway. So we are on the best and I started thing what if something bad happens, like a crash or the bus blows up. And I can't stop thinking it. So I turn to Sister Casperson and say I am so paranoid. And she gets wide eyed and says we should get off. Haha and then says she had been thinking the same thing as me! Hahaha so we walk like 2 miles home and say hey to Jewish people (who never say hey back) and give out cookies! So over all it was good. But so funny! We are just extra safe I guess. And who knows maybe someone needed a cookie!

I loved this week so much.

I am so grateful I am a missionary. I have learned so much here in New York. And I am so excited to learn more in Brazil.

I know God lives. I am His life long witness.

Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment