Sunday, February 9, 2014

From Alex

Well I have a Nickname. Well no one knows I know. haha no one here can remember Powell. Its super hard for them. So behind my back they call me Sister Hippie. hahaha Apparently I look, talk, dress, and act like a hippie. I like it. haha This week has been good and long.
Monday night we had a miracle! So we had a family that wanted us to take one of our investigators to their family night. So we went to go pick up the investigators but they werent home. But right then this guy walked by and we said HEY! Do you want to go to a family night with us? And he was like Sure!  we get there and one of the sons asked if he was going to church this sunday? And Junior (the name of the guy) said ummm.... What church? haha oops! But we have a new investigator!
Tuesday, it happened. The one thing everyone said would happen and I just said well they arent being very positive. haha I got sick. So so so sick. But I worked. I dont thing that was a bright idea. lol But we had a good night! IT RAINED IN PRETOLINA!!! Miracle of miracles!! Yet I found out pretty fast that this is a good and bad thing. When it rains in brazil/the desert the rain has no where to go... So it floods. We had to get to a recent converts home because her mom was getting a blessing so we ran in knee high water. I tried so hard not to thing what was in it. haha we kept on yelling "Think like moses! Think like Peter!" All in English. We got some crazy looks. haha but we made it. :)
One thing I have really learned on my mission is how satan gets people. He makes people feel comfortable where they are at. I have seen it so many times, with me, my investigators, missionaries. With everyone. Always remember to keep on going forward. We had a sad week with Damioa. He doesnt have problems with much, really he is the perfect investigator. haha He cant move past the bible however. I love the bible so much. I have learned so much from it. I wish poeple could see how much knowledge they would gain with both the bible and the book of mormon. That they testify of each other and support one another. I have such a strong testimony of both. They are both the word of God. They both testify of our Savoir and we can learn so much from both.
Thursday, I couldnt do it anymore. The thought of being sick, eating a brazilian feast, and walking all day long. We took a sick day and studied and studied and studied. I am starting to feel like im learning. Words are starting to click a little bit more! It is way way nice. Everyday I quote to myself "The gift of tongues is learning a language fast enough for it to be a miracle but slow enough for it to be a test of faith." It is so true. Im glad I get to witness this miracle :)
Friday another miracle happened! Lets face it everyday has miracles! All of our plans fell through and we were just fearlessing when Sister Villaroman talked to a man who let us come in and talk to his family. Can I just say It was the most beautiful family I have ever ever seen in my whole life. They are so ready for the Gospel. I have never felt the spirit so much as I testified of Joseph Smith. I know they are ready.
Let me tell you Brazilians can eat. And they all comment on how I eat nothing and that I am so tiny. haha But no one has ever made me eat more until this week. haha
One thing that I have learned on m mission is the Power of taking the sacrement. You have so much more strength in everyway when you do. You feel so clean and you feel the spirit with you so much more when you do. Next week when you take the Sacrement pay attention to those feelings I know you will feel the spirit so much stronger!
Sorry this letter is super all over. But honestly Im kinda all over. haha
Well Its been 1 transfer in Brazil and honestly the longest one I have ever had. I have had two areas 2 comps. I have learned so much and I am still no where where I want to be and thats okay :) Ill be a little honest that being in brazil has been really hard for me. Its been slightly scary being new again and Im so afraid to lose the knowledge that I learned in NYC. But I know I wont. I pray everyday to stay ithe same in the ways that I need to but to be humble enough to change in areas and learn more. Because I am Jesus`s hands and He teaches all of His children differently and to their needs. And it is His children here that make it all worth it. I wish you could see them. I wish you could see this area of brazil. It is so beautiful. Everyday I walk down dirt roads surrounded by homes built out of dirt and sticks. Where people live such simple and beautiful lives. They hand was their clothes. They drive carts pulled by donkeys, they cook over fires. And they love their lives. I am so grateful to serve these people. They all know us. The children run to us an dhug us then run away. I know that it is not me they see and hug however. I know it is the name that I wear. I pray everyday to be worthy to wear it. Because ultimatly He is the reason I am here. I am here for Him so His children can be helped. Everyday I strive to make His will mine and to give myself up and serve with everything I am. I know it is once I can do that my character will be changed and ultimatly I will be orever changed. I know this work is worth it. I know with Gods help I can do it. Dont yall worry about me here in Brazil because I love it. Keep on smiling and know that God loves yall so much! Remember the best is yet to be!
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment