Monday, June 9, 2014

From Sydney

First off! I wanted to say how awesome my week was. I was grumpy as a kangaroo who ran into a cactus, but I worked super hard. So did Sister Steg. We worked hard together, and we saw so many miracles. We saw so many we contacted before the previous week again, and they became investigators. We saw so many miracles because we worked hard. And I unfortunately got so many hugs by men this week. It was traumatizing. I was like "stop you fiend from the infernal pittt!!!" But they hugged me any way because they wanted to thank me. I have decided not to ever bear my testimony or pray for any one ever again. Ever.
 
For mothers day I had the amazing opportunity to call my mommy. I love you mom! And I am so proud of you! I get to only email my dad for Father's Day so I am going to send out an email about all my Dads in my life right now:)
 
I was born into the family of Powell. I came screaming and nasty looking. But I came into the world to the best parents ever: Kevin and Conneen Powell. Young little peeps they were. And they had something very precious that would touch and determine my life forever: The Gospel of Jesus Chirst.
 
I am so lucky to have been born into a family that has that. From right at the start my parents taught me principles that would help me for the rest of my life. And I looked at them as heroes.
 
My image of dad from when I was kid is this young teddy bear with puffy hair, and an obnoxiouis laugh. Someone who woke up grouchier than a grizzly bear for Christmas, and who made the best chocolate cake in the world. I loved when dad came home, and we would play lazy horse (he would just lay there). He was always the last person in the home to be ready for church, despite living in a home with a bunch of girls. He taught me to always be the best dressed person in the room because he always was. He is an animal lover. He was always saving some sort of critter despite telling us not to. I remember thinking that he was the funniest, most handsomest, most smartest dad in the world. I always came to him for advice.
 
As time has gone on, of course the perception of my Dad has changed. Dad is still all of those things, but I have come to recognize something even more profound about him. He is human, he has feelings, he is always going to be my daddy no matter what, and he is always going to be a child to his Heavenly Father. My Dad is very loved by Heavenly Father.
 
Kevin Powell has taught me a lot. He has taught me about agency. He has taught me about forgiveness, he has taught me about love and charity. He has taught me about the Atonement. He has taught me more about the Savior than anything else. He has taught me about testimony. He has a lovely and strong testimony. He has taught me patience. He has taught me about working hard, especially when you fall down. There is always second chances. Never give up. Never give up on the people you love.He has taught me about Lord of The Rings, X-files, lost, my love for reading, he has created my into a major dork, and he has taught me how not to say like, he has taught me how to sincerelly pray, he has taught me about my individual worth, and he has taught me to love the Priesthood. My dad has done a lot of good in his life, but I am so proud that he is a worthy priesthood holder. He has taught me how to recoginize the spirit. I am the person I am today because of my Dad, and the amazing woman that he is really lucky to married to right now;) I love my Daddy with all my heart, and I am so proud that I am wearing his name every day next to my Saviors.
 
Another "father" I have is my Mission President. It's amazing how much you look up to that guy. You hardly spend any time with him, but he changes your life forever. I entered the mission field not knowing at all what President Watkins looked like. And I was really surprised how young he was. I thought one of the Senior Missionaries was him until he shook my hand. And then I thought that he talked a whole bunch. President Watkins can talk and talk. He actually reminds me a lot of Daddy:)
 
He is the most giving guy you will ever meet. And I have learned to really trust someone that hold the priesthood. I have really just handed over my life to him. I trust that he is inspired by the Lord, and I have had to trust him a lot with the decisions he has made about companions, and areas. I have had a lot of areas and companions. But he has truly been inspired. I needed my areas and my companions. And he has always been a phone call away. He has been there a lot for me. He really has been a really good friend. He has been able to see a lot of potential in me that I haven't seen, and I still don't see sometimes. I think he is hilarious and really blunt, but he likes to make me happy. Haha. He hates to see me cry, and he always runs away from me when I am. He has taught me the value of marriage. I love the way he loves Sister Watkins. And He has taught me that it is okay to be human, and be stressed, to be sad, and to trust Heavenly Father. I really am so grateful to President Watkins for all that he has done for me. He has helped shape me into a person that I really like. I am so sad that he is leaving, but I know that because of his words and actions that he will always be there for me.
 
My Heavenly Father is next. Heavenly Father has been my constant compaion during my whole mission. He is amazing, understanding, and He has been with me my whole entire life. He has been there the times that I have felt alone, and had no one to talk to. He has been my best friend even when I was in Middle School and I had no friends. He has given me so many tender mercies. And he has given my life, he has given me my family, he has given me my Savior, chocolate cake, everything. He has given me literrally everything, and my only desire is to dedicate my life to Him. To return one day to him with my Family, people in San Jose, and with all of His children. To show by my life that I truly love him. I love Him. Words can't describe the influence that he has on me. I am so grateful that He has kept me here in San Jose. I needed this place because I have seen His hand. I know Him, and I love Him. I thank my Heavenly Father every day. And I am so proud to be His daughter.
 
Happy Father's day Grandpa Powell and Grandpa Clark! Thank you both for your examples. You have raised good children who have raised me. I am your report card, and I dare say you get an A+:) 
I love you all and I am so grateful to be here!!!
 
Thanks for everything,
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment