Monday, June 9, 2014

From Sydney

I realized that as my time as a missionary I have been in 7 areas. (Eight if you include the MTC). I have had 11 companions. And I have spoken 4 different languages (Portuguese- which I have been privelaged to use on my mission. Spanish, Tongan, and my second native tongue other than gibberish- english). I have done a lot in a short period of time. And I love the fact that I have had the opportunity to bear my testimony to so many different people and cultures, but it is also understandable why I get so antsy during transfer week. I am so used to getting tranferred that I don't know if I want to be transferred or not.
 
Monday was a great day after P-day. We had dinner at a Thai resturant with Charley, and we went contacting afterwards. It was a rough contacting experience until we met Gladys. Gladys was sitting in front of the Memorial Building, and she had all these bags in front of her. I could tell she didn't speak English, so I contacted her in Spanish. She was pleansantly surprised but not interested, but I kept talking to her wondering where she was going, and if she was waiting for the bus. She said she was and asked me a question which I did not understand so I just told her YEP! And she got up and started walking with us. I was so confused but went with it. Sister Palmer gave her a Book of Mormon, and I realized that we had given her permission to ride in the car with us. I was nope... that's a no no. Haha. So unfortunatly we had to tell her no we couldn't drive her to her car which had broken down that she lived in. Awkward saying that in Spanish.
 
But I felt terrible and I felt like we really had to find a ride for her. After calling everyone in the ward, we got a hold of the Florios. Who kindly agreed to give her a ride. So we sat there waiting with her, and I felt prompted to teach her about the Restoration. It was really cool. It was a horrible lesson, but she loved it. And the Florios were so nice and went above and beyond to help her. They bought her groceries, and they bought her McDonalds- even coffee for her. Haha.
 
I love when Missionaries and Members work together:)
 
Tuesday was Zone Conference Training, and Sister Watkins came. She taught us an awesome lesson. But before that, we had lunch with The Gulatis, and we drank so much water and orange juice! And duiring Sister Watkins training we had to go PEE SO BAD! So Sister Palmer fled. Haha. But I love Sister Watkins. She is awesome. I am so glad she is Sister Mission President:) I love her testimony.
 
We also visited with Richard who is so funny. Super old and forgets who we are orthat we are the same person as last week. He remembers my hair though!
 
Wednesday, we had Bible Study with Sister Florio and Sister Docto. We talked about the Garden of Gethsamene. It was an awesome lesson because of Sister Docto. She bore her testimony. I love when I get to be taught during lessons. Which happens all the time I find. If you teach with the Spirit, you learn too. The Spirit really is the true teacher.
 
We had service too. I got soooo sweaty. And It was fun though! It was a Zone Service where we helped the Dublin Sisters landlady weed. Thank you Mom for forcing me to weed for so many years! Haha.
 
Thursday, we went helped the Dublin Sisters out again. And OH MY GOSH. I love Salads. Even the green part of salads! Isn't that weird? The mission is changing me! We had lunch with them. That's how I went witth that train of thought.
 
We read with Sister Adkins in the Book of Mormon. She just loves us. I don't went to be conceded with my companionship with Sister Palmer, but everyone loves us. They say it all the time. How we are the perfect companionship. And I think we are. We are not just good teachers together, but we are good friends. Sister Palmer really is the best, and always inspires me to be better. I seriously want to be her. She is amazing.
 
Sister Adkins was super sad that it was transfer week because she really wants to finish the Book of Mormon with us since we are her angels. And in her prayer she asked Heavenly Father not to transfer one of us. I felt terrible, because both Sister Palmer and I both knew what was coming.
 
After that we read the Book of Mormon with Sister Ghofranian who kept falling asleep on herself! Poor dear. It was so funny though.
 
On Friday...the best thing happened in my whole entire life!!! I got attacked by a pig! Our neighbors tea cup big got out. Sister Palmer really needed to go pee so I didn't notice when she ran inside. And I was just sitting on the ground trying to pet the pig. And he, Cecil, got on his back legs and did this terrifying screeching noise and knocked me down. You don't leave your companion because you will be attacked by a pig is the moral of the story. Best moment of my life!
 
Saturday we saw Brother Wolters and Mr. Gates. Brother Wolters is still trying to read the New Testament. And I swear we read the same chapter over and over. And the whole day I felt so nervous. And that night we got the call that Sister Palmer would be transferred. I was so sad! I have neverhad a companion leave me! EVER! Haha. It was a crazy feeling. But I am excited for Sister Palmer. She is such a great missionary and really needs to share her testimony with a lot more people, including missionaries.
 
Sunday was an awesome day. At church, a future missionary spoke, a current one (sister Palmer), and a returned one did. It was so depressing. And awesome. I sat there, and I was hoping with all my heart that I have changed.I so want to come home a different Sydney Powell. I want to forever be changed by my mission.
 
We went to an outgoing fireside, and so many missionaries left! It is so weird. I knew every one of them! I am so old on the mission. I never want go home!
 
Y'all, I really love the Lord. I love being a missionary. I love bearing my testimony and hearing my Heavenly Father's testimony everyday. The church is true. Missions are awesome! Go on one! Be a missionary. Nothing is more fullfilling. Love everyone!
 
I love y'all!
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment