Thursday, April 10, 2014

From Alex

Ive always had a testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet, but I remember the moment exactly when I knew he was. It was at girls camp when I was 14. I was bearing my testimony and I remember realizing that I was the same age as Joseph Smith when he saw God our Father and our Savior and I just knew he had the faith to see them and that he restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ. After that when ever I have doubts I remember that Joseph Smith is and was a prophet of God. And I do. I know it.
We had a lesson this week with the bishops mother and law. At the end we had here pray right then and there to know if Joseph Smith was a prophet. She has been taught for years but has never prayed. She didnt want to but we kinda made her feel guilty so she did. haha But honestly I think Ive never felt the spirit so strong in a prayer. She pled with the Lord to know and right then I knew again. I just sat there and thought if she doesnt know now I dont know what will help her. But she looked up with tears in her eyes and said, "I know." The spirit is so real. God really does live. And this is His church. How lucky am I to witness such miracles?
One miracle I am witnessing is the conversion of an Irmao (I cant remeber his name ever) He is the husband and father of 3 active members. He has been coming to church for years but has never been baptized. And really he knows the church is true. All our plans that night fell through and I had the thought that we should try him. And the miracle was that he was at home! He never is. We had a prompting that day to bring the Restoration video with us and we just knew he needed to watch it. So we showed it to him and after he just looked at us and said... It makes sense now. Really we need to teach people to their needs. I have been really studying about the spirit and prayer. Something I learned is "to speak to our investigators heart we must know what they need." And how do we know? we must "pray to know their needs, and as we do the very words we say will reach into their hearts and our efforts will be magnified when we seek for the direction of the Holy Ghost." The brother we taught is a very simple man, he works on a farm, likes to sit and listen, and loves tv. So he needed simple words and a dvd. But we didnt know this. But we had a prompting and the Holy Ghost did the rest.
Really we are nothing without the Holy Ghost. So many times I am just lost and do not know how to help this person. But someone does and when We have the holy ghost we will be able to help. The spirit really is that teaches we are just the tools that bring him. The father of the family whose dad cried when he prayed was baptized this week. It was so beautiful. I know it was the spirit that converted him. I am so excited for this family to have the full blessings of the priesthood in thier home.
Everyone here always asks how many baptisms I have had. But something I have realized that no matter how many baptisms I help they will never be mine they are Gods children being baptized and a miracle that I will witness. I am only HIs tool. I am only His hands. The words I speak should be His. He should be the one teaching them through me. It is all in the scriptures. If I do not have Him with me I should not teach. I love my calling I love my purpose. I love that each day I get to invite others to come unto christ. I love teaching about the restored gospel. I love teaching about the atonement. I love inviting people to repent and be baptized. I love telling people that with the Gift of the Holy Ghost they will always have a friend with them. I love helping people endure to the end. How great really is my calling?
I am so grateful for my unique mission. I am so grateful for God`s plans. This week I am going to work on praying, smiling, and laughing. Maybe we can all work on that this week :) I know our week will be awesome if we do! Know taht I am praying for you and that I feel your prayers as well. And always remember the best is yet to be.
Love Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment