Sunday, October 27, 2013

From sydney

Well, I was going to bash all y'all for not sending me recipes. Haha. But could y'all send me some other recipes: Red Beans and Rice, Missippi Mud Pie, Shrimp Creole, Crawfish Etufee, e Gumbo? Hahaha.
 
So, Monday happened. I, Sister Powell, was so upsest that I didn't have a Jumbalaya Recipe. And then I have to be like super obedient. I asked EVERYONE IN THE WORLD online for a recipe. I even asked my nice Brother-in-law, Bradyn Fairclough to all who are confused who I am reffering to, to send me a recipe (Thanks Bradyn by the way:)) But at last, things weren't going my way. So I asked a random black man in front of me how to make stinking Jumbalaya. The spirit prompted me to the right direction. But after I made it, I figured out I should've cooked it WITH the rice. Hahahaha. I was like DUH! But at last, I made a type of Jumbalaya. Elder Clayton loved it so much. He bought me chocolate. Thanks Carrie and Kenzie, I will send him those:)
 
This week has been weird. I have been on splits in my second area. I have seen hundreds of people (more like twenty), all of which have said I am never getting my Visa. Ever. Hahaha. But my old Bishop has my back! He's praying for me.
 
I have been here a long time. I hit my sixth month mark! Crazy! I am so old now I officially have a year left in my mission.
 
Tuesday was interviews. I love President Watkins and Sister Watkins. They are the most giving and loving people. I really appreciate all they do. Their mission is so hard, but they have done so well. President Watkins, I think, made it his mission to provide me with a new wardrobe. At interviews, he gave me some shirts and a skirt. Which I LOVE. And then I went to Panda Express, and I got a fortune cookie that said, :"It would be wise for you at this time not to accept too much from others". And then on Friday, I recieve two HUGE packages from my Zone Leaders filled with clothes. I am like, "What do I do? I must follow Panda's advice!" But they were all so cute. I have so much clothes and they are all from Brooks Brothers. I never thought I would be so excited for clothes. The mission has changed me.
 
On Wednesday, we drove to the temple with some members. I loved the temple. I never wanted to leave. But I had to go back to the real world. Meh. Haha.
 
I love my mission. This week was a struggle finding people to teach. There isn't much of a teaching pull in the Tongan Program. But our members are so loving. They think I am sickly and feed me too much, but I know they do it because they love me.
 
Poly Day is coming up. I am so excited! I have waited for this day since Fuimaono. Of couse, I thought for sure that I would be in Brazil by the time it came. But obviously my visa is just waiting for Poly Day.
 
I have been trying to figure out what my purpose here in San Jose is. In the measure of success with numbers, I am failing as a missionary. But, I think I am here to help fix areas and companionships. I have been to so many areas that have had issues with the missionaries themselves. They have had rough times with the area, rules, or other missionaries. But I have felt such a deep love for them, and I love seeing them grow. It's probably reasonable to say, but I count my companions as my greatest success here in San Jose. All nine (or eleven including the MTC:)) are who I think about the most. I pray about them, and I love them so much. Sister Funaki is an amazing missionary. I am so lucky to be serving with her. We may have not been successful in the way that we report are numbers, but we have grown so much spiritually together. I have learned how to control my anger, and just love. Its ridiculous.
 
I wish I had more to tell you about my week (a man named Frank keeps calling me, but I ignore him. I am telling everyone that I have a boyfriend). But I think all I have to really share this email is my testimony. I loved general conference. A lot of my prayers were answered. It's amazing how inspired it is.
 
I know this church is true. I know it so much. I have realized, that I want to serve for this church always. Because it is the true church. It was the same church that was established by Jesus Christ. It has the same teachings, foundation, and leader. When I serve the church, I am serving Him. He is my best friend. I love Him, and I know Him. He lifts me up at my weakest moments. He died for all of us. I know that the temple is the place where we can be sealed (or married) to our families for time and eternity. I know that the Priesthood is real and poweful. I know that repentance is real. It works and it is liberating. Prayer is real. Heavenly Father loves us and listens to us. He recognizes our struggles, but he is shaping us. He sees us for who we are to become. He is our Father. We can turn to him for anything. I know that I am here in San Jose for a reason. I don't know when or if I will get my Visa, but I am on a mission. That's all I ever wanted to do. I am so grateful for all of you for helping me, supporting me, for loving me. I hope y'all know the church is true! Do missionary work.
 
My greatest regret that I have thought about over and over these past weeks is telling my friend in high school that she didn't need to invite the missionaries back. If my friend is reading my blog, I know that you do need to invite them back. The message they have is true. I am so sorry that I got scared. I hope you know that I love you!
 
I hope I never get scared anymore when it comes to preaching the gospel. It's true!
 
I love y'all so much. I hope you know that I am trying my hardest on my mission. I feel your prayers, and they support me. Read the Book of Mormon. Read the Bible! The Bible is amazing, and truly is the Word of God. Both help us know our savior more.
 
I love you!
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment