Sunday, October 27, 2013

From Sydney

I have what I call, Tongan Food Poison Sickness. I blame the Fish Brain. Haha. No one eats the fish brain, and I go ahead and decide to chow down on it to be impressive. Disgusting. It tasted like...something that was disgusting. I have been up for 5 nights, all night, hanging out by the bathroom door. It's been terrible. But it solves all constipation problems if you catch my drift. But you sure don't want to smell it. Ha! Oh I am just soooo funny.
 
We have worked sooooo hard this week!
 
We have been lessoning everyone. We visited with this Hawiann Family that had this cute little old man, who just kept talking and talking. And he was so ashamed about his little morning scruff, he shaved right away. And he was so old, I don't think he knew he kept giving us referrals. He just kept giving them to us and giving them to us. Polynesians have a lot of family and friends.
 
So we visited his referrals. We visited Patricia, a little Mexican woman who was baptized in the Tongan ward a couple years ago, and married a Samoan. She had the CUTEST baby. She was so happy we were there.
 
We visited The Ve'es. They are a part member family who just loves families. What I love about Polynesians, is that they just value the importance of families so much. Brother Ve'e is so cool and just loves people. He isn't a member, but he knows it is true. He is so supportive of his wife, and it's so cool cause she went to the temple with out him. She isn't waiting for the blessings. I like her.
 
We visited this woman named Deseree, who loves this nasty juice. If someone makes me drink that juice one more time, I don't know what more poor stomach will do. It just might run away on me!
 
On Thursday, we had what we called "Sisters Retreat" all the Sisters got together, and basically had a girls camp. It was really fun. We had a makeup class, a little arts and craft class, a cooking class (I need recipes people!), a health class (good news everyone, I am not balding. It's a part. And yes, I asked), and we had talks, and study time. We had a study time, and then we had a clothes exchange. It was fun. I came out of that place with Hydrogen Proixcide (I am such a horrible speller. My word).
 
Then the rest of the week, we visited a ton of people who blend together and have the hardest names in the world! I have no idea how I am going to learn their names. But they are all so awesome. East Palo Alto is a fun place. This guy named Alex approached me on the streat while we were contacting. This is a classic contact and usually how it goes for me:
 
Alex (looking drugged up and not looking at the right place): How old are you?
Me (Thinking none your buisness but I am the servant of the Lord and have to be polite): I am twenty one
Alex: What is your name?
Me (Ha!): Sister Powell
Alex: My name is Alex.
Me: (Kay)
Alex: What are you?
Me (Evil Smile): I am a Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (takes a deep breath. That is a word full)
Alex: Oh. What do they do?
Me (We invite others to come unto Christ by helping them recieve the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repetance, baptism, recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost and Enduring to the end. Which is what I call "Enjoying to the End): We help people come closer to Jesus Christ.
Alex: Cool. Can I have your number?
Me (what's the Elders number again?): Uhhhh...Sister Funaki!
Alex: Here is my number. The bus is coming.
Me: Okay.
Alex: 55555555555. Call me in two days when my parole is over.
Me: Will do my friend.
 
And that is how contacting goes for me. I get a lot of numbers though. Yeah!
 
I have struggled this week with thinking nice thoughts. I think it is the lack of sleep. But I also think it is because Satan doesn't want missionaries to get along with their companion. So I have done the opposite of what I think, when I think something mean about Sister Funaki, out loud I say something nice. I compliment her so much, I think she is going to go crazy. Haha. I love her a lot. And it is funny the things that bother me, usually I have the same issues with myself. She is a great companion, and makes me work hard. She loves the work so much. I love the work too. I am so lucky to be on a mission. I love you all!
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell
 


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments

Post a Comment