Wednesday, September 18, 2013

From Syd

ear Family and Friends,
 
I present to you the too bluntly honest missionary of the week! Last week I had what I call Peeved Missionary Syndrome. I was hanging on a thinnnnnnnnnnnnnn string of very short nerves last week.
 
Last week was hard in an awesome way. It started on a Tuesday that my poor companion became very ill. I have never felt so cooped up in my LIFE. We are in a quadship so I have other companions, but we decided to split the area so we could do more work. So my usual companion was out of commission, I went on splits with my other companions and one of us would stay with the other. But at night, at like 6, I would be stuck in the apartment. I used to think I would enjoy that, but at last I didn't.
 
I also thought I was going to die. Apparantly Sister Weeks was a Car Racer back in the Pre-mission day.
 
During this week, Peeved Missionary Syndrome decided to come at the opportune moment. I would think things, and then theywould pop out of my mouth. I wouldn't even give a thought about it. Until I realized what I said, and I would be like- "Come back words! Come back!"
 
Everything would put me on edge! I was not a very pleasant person this week. Sister Tietjen thought it was hilarious, but she was delirious. So you know.
 
During splits, one day, Sister Weeks and I were driving with a member and I wanted to do some work in my area, so we decided to visit Ignocio. There were a lot more cars there than usual, so I was like, oh well more people to teach. We get out of the car and Sister Weeks and I were walking towards the house, and bam! I felt like some football player hit me and was keeping me in place. I couldn't move towards the house. I turned towards Sister Weeks and she looked just as shocked. We both turned around and our poor member present looked so confused. Haha. Bless her little heart. But I never felt such a strong push from the spirit. It was so weird.
 
We even went back to his house a couple days later, and it was fine. He went to church for the first time in years. It was so cute. He is this little Mexican man. We were talking with him at church and said he wanted to be baptized when he was ready. He also told us that alcohol has been tasting so nasty to him and he has been wanting to drink soda. He said that other missionaries have tried teaching him, and we were the best he has had. But unfortunately, we are going to be giving him up. We both went to a Spanish baptism, and we both thought how needed Ignocio was in the Spanish ward. It's frustrating, because we have given up ALL of our investigators. But we have been blessed so much.
 
Since Sister Tietjen was so sick, we had to work really hard on Saturday and Sunday to get our lessons. We taught so many people. We also went to the mall and contacted. It was terrible. But I made an appointment to get my haircut (on Monday of course). And I did! It looks really cute. Sister Tietjen got her hair permed. I love going to get my haircuts when I am a missionary. You get a lot of meaningful contacts. I talked to this really cool Buddhist guy and he was asking all the right questions. And a little Chinese hairsylonists said I was sexy. Never been called that before. hahaha. That's why I added that in there. Tehe. Okay. But, we also went laser tagging and IT WAS AWESOME!!!
On Sunday,
 
I love human beings, but this week was hard in the tolerance level. I have learned to really pray to see people the way that my Heavenly Father sees them. It's amazing how it works. I am so much better now, but I realized I need to be nice and watch what I say all the time (is it okay that I am still bluntly honest in my emails home;)) I have learned when other people start talking about someone, to just start saying something nice about the person and they join in. It really is awesome to just talk nice about people. And It is true what daddy says: Only nonintelligent people can't think of anything to talk about but other people. And I have been working on my intelligence lately;)
 
I love y'all! I wrote down some requests to send y'all but I can't find them! Hahaha.
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell
 
P.S. Read the new Ensign! It's AMAZING!!!!
 
Pss. I know the church is true!

No comments

Post a Comment