Wednesday, September 18, 2013

From Syd

First off, before I begin and forget, I want something from y'all. I want all my convert friends and family to send me their conversion stories. You know who you are:) And I want everyone to send me their testimonies. Everyone! Do it. Hhaha. And also, could y'all send me some Louisiana recipes? Via email (sydney.powell@myldsmail.net). Elder Clayton is awesome and really wants some. The more recipes the better. He is the best Car Coordinater in the world:)
 
Sooooo, this week started with DRAMA. I hate drama. Haha. Sister Weeks had a big blow up (first couple weeks is hard in the mission). She would yell at us and we wouldn't know what exactly to do. I have never felt so scared someone was going to go home in my life. And we had no idea it was coming. We didn't do anything to cause it. The blow up(s) was so weird. And she seriously was acting like she was going home. It was going to happen on my watch! So we bought her Chinese food, which didn't help. It just gave us all food poisioning. Hahaha. It gave me the worst kind. Throwing up my friends. I feel like everytime I email you, I have a story about how I get sick. Haha.
 
 It's been a rough week. Satan really attacked us emotionally and physically. I have never felt so alone in my life, and so unsure. I just questioned everything and why I was even on a mission. I haven't had any "success". I got so many priesthood blessings this week. I just really wanted to hear from my Heavenly Father that everything was going to be okay. I felt like I was making all these phone calls and no one was answering me. Sister Teitjen and I were just so tired from working so hard and not seeing anything. I just felt awful. And it just kept getting worse. Here, Satan really works on your thoughts. He knows exactly what worries you, and I just wanted to scream and rip my hair out. I didn't have peace in my apartment, and I didn't have peace in my head and it was awful. And he attacked our sleeping time. I have had hardly any sleep.
 
One day we were driving to service when we saw the Jehovah Witnesses spilt up and start knocking on our neighbors doors. THEY LOOK EXACTLY LIKE US. They started to wear skirts and name tags. Ah! haha. And they were about to knock on Vina's (our Indian Investigators Door). I felt so strongly that we had to visit Vina. So we swerved our car James Bond style and hopped out the car and ran to her door in jeans and a t-shirt. We looked those girls up and down and they looked at our nonpros apparel up and down. I felt like I was in Mean Girls. It was awesome. And Vina opened the door. We needed to be there. Her son just gotted kicked out of his home in Fiji. She was so scared the missionaries wouldn't be able to find him. So we asked her if she wanted to pray with us. She chose me to say it even though I was still kinda bugged that he wasn't answering my prayers. Right when I opened my mouth to pray, things just started to pop in my head. I just spoke and it wasn't like I was speaking. I just was filled with so much love and peace. I just started crying as I was praying. Somehow I knew the things she needed to hear, and that her son was going to be okay. I knew that Heavenly Father loved her sooooooooo much. After the prayer and during she just started sobbing. She cried and cried and thanked me. And hugged me and told me I was her daughter. She told me and the other Sisters that she had felt like someone was putting thoughts into her mind and was sitting on her the whole week, and right when I prayed she felt like the person was pushed off. I felt that exact way.
 
I realized as I was praying for Vina, that I was being amazingly selfish before. God gives me notes of his love and his existence everyday. He answers my prayers. But sometimes he doesn't answer a certain question because I already have the answer. But there are some people, who need their prayers answered through people. He needs help because some of his children don't see those miracles. Vina needed her prayers answered, and I was the missionary there to help Heavenly Father. She needed to tell Heavenly Father something, and she just didn't know how to say it.  I need to be on a mission. Teaching people how to pray, to feel their Saviors love, and helping my companions is so much success. Sister Weeks is doing amazing.  We all had an amazing Companionship Inventory. We went on splits one night and Sister Weeks just told me her gratitude that I was there and how she knew I loved her. She said she never wanted me to go to Brazil and that she prays every night that I won't (meh). That I always made her feel welcome. She thanked me for letting her be herself. I cried, because I had been working so hard all week making her feel loved. I also made her bear her testimony. She was reluctant too, I think she was feeling the same way I was before I prayed for Vina,  and then she said a beautiful testimony that gave me peace and she started crying.  I just love everyone so much here.
 
I just want y'all to know that I know this Gospel is true. That the Book of Mormon is true. It brings me joy and peace everyday. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior. He loves us so much. He died for us, and he understands us. And we have an incredibly loving Heavenly Father who sent us to this Earth so we could return to Him as families. He is so incredibly unselfish. He gives us opportunities everyday to work on our families, and he won't ever have a perfect family. He sacrificed that so we could. And all he asks is that we help His children return to him. Don't be scarred of spreading the gospel! Have family home evenings and invite friends. I love you all so much. I love my companions, and we are doing great. I am glad I am here and I can serve.
 
I love y'all!
 


Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment