Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sydney- I love the Temple

I really hate Ward Council. Haha. And the guy next to me on the computer is looking at really strange things. Hahaha. Oh dear. He needs to stop that. Obviously someone needs a pamphlet;)
 
Oh. If the Elders are reading my blog, stop it. Stop it right now.
 
This week we had Mission Tour/Conference with Elder Echohawk. It was so fun and awesome. I felt the spirit so strongly. He is the first Native American in the quorum of the First Seventy. He was a convert, and his story is amazing. I guess I will share it, haha. Might as well.
 
So, his family lived on an Indian Reservation, and his dad was super messed up. And the missionaries come and the atonement changes him, yadadada. But, Elder Echohawk didn't change even though he was baptized. Everyone in the church was super worried about him. Then the Bishop talked to the Young Mens Priest leader, what ever you call that. He was a lawyer and super awesome. He talked to Elder Echohawk and asked him, what do you want to be? And Elder Echohawk said he wanted to be a Football player. So the Leader set up goals for him and trained him and made him gain like 50 pounds. And he made the High School team his Senior year! But he made Quaterback which he was really bummed about because the captian during the time was a quarterback. Super sad right, so I sat on the bench. SO he started training some more and the coach noticed and started to put him in games and keep him there. But then one day he was playing with some friends and I guess the football hit him the right place where he had some sort of brain injury, and he was going to lose his eyesight. He was so mad, because life was starting to get good. He bandages on both eyes and he remembered what his Leader told him about the Book of Mormon. So he crawled out of his bed blindly and knelt down to say his first PRAYER EVER. And it went like this:
 
Dear God,
 
If there really is one. If you give me my eyesight back, I promise I will read the Book of Mormon.
 
Amen
 
And he got his bandages off, and he didn't have it. But each day, it started to come back. And then finally  it was there. And he kept his word. He was horrible at reading and hated school, but he tried his best and read 10 pages each night. And at the end, he prayed and he knew it was true. He knew it with all of his heart. And his Football career was amazing, and then one day he walked into his coaches office and he saw the coach for BYU, and he was the first one to go to college in his family. Ever. Miracles do happen! And he became a lawyer, was a Professor at BYU, head of the Sports, and then he worked for President Obama, and now he is a member of the Quorum of the Seventy. AMAZING.
 
The next day, we went to service at the Park, and then Sister Zidek told me she was going to talk with President with Sister Bradshaw, and I was okay with that. I was all for her talking with someone. So we went on splits and we taught one of our investigators about Chasity. The spirit really guided that lesson, thank goodness. She is so sweet and I love her so much! She lives with her boyfriend, but I think they will get married soon. She wants to get baptized so much, and we set her baptismal date for August, which gives her time to decide what to do.
 
After that we had ward council, meh. I hate that thing. I love our leaders, don't get me wrong, but when someone says: "We should send you off to Brazil and keep Sister Powell forever" to a bunch of girls, lets just say everyone gets a little moody and snappy. Jeesh. Haha. So I got really sad, and then we got a call from President saying he wanted to take all the Visa Waiters to the Temple, and I was all like get me out of here! And to make things worse, I was told I was probably leaving for either Brazil soon or leaving my area soon so I would be in a trio and President wouldn't have to do an emergency transfer. I was super sad. I cried and cried.
 
Sister Watkins and President Watkins are amazing. They are having a rough time right now, but they are seriously magnifying their calling. They remember everything you tell them. Alex, President Watkins wants to know how you are doing! I sat with them, and we talked about life.
 
While I was at the temple, I was praying so hard. I felt so inadquete about everything I was so sad. I wasn't helping my companion, I couldn't speak, and everyone was mad at me. I was leaving all my investigators, and I was super sad. So I decided to flip open the scriptures (what a surprise right?) and I flipped and I read:
 
"Behold, verily, verily, I say unto my servant Sidney, I have looked upon thee and thy works. I have aheard thy prayers, and prepared thee for a greater work.  Thou art blessed, for thou shalt do great things. Behold thou wast sent forth, even as aJohn, to prepare the way before me."

And it was seriously the first thing I read, and it has my name in there. Spelled the same way everyone else spells my name;) It made me feel really peaceful. I love the scriptures!!
 
We went to Wendys after and he was so excited thinking I was going to get a tripple. This is what happened:
 
Walking into Wendys 
 
President: Sister Powell! Look at that Tripple!
Me: Oh my goodness. That looks amazing.
President: I am expecting to see that Tripple on your tray!
 
I walk to the table
 
President: Did you get a kids meal?
Me:.... Yes.
President: Wimpy!!
 
It was a lot funnier when it happened. But it still makes me giggle. Not much makes me giggle. Haha.
 
When we got back from the temple, we had a good companionship inventory. haha. It was awesome. I love Sister Zidek. She is an amazing Missionary, and I am so blessed that she is obedient. She loves the Lord and has such a strong testimony.
 
We have a new investigator! Her name is Dalores and she is the mother of Elizabeth. Yesturday, we went to pick up Elizabeth for church and she was all for going. We were so excited because she was the first investigator to say yes to church. And then her ride wasn't picking up her phone, and it was so sad, and then we got a call from her saying she didn't want to go anymore. We were so bummed. Meh. I hate when Satan does that. And then the ride called us when we got to church. Next time, Next time.
 
But we ate dinner with President and Sister Watkins, we met our goals, and President is going to try to find a pair of 4 and a half shoes for me. Good luck President. Meha.
 
I love y'all so much! Sorry my letter was so scattered, this week was a little scattered. And I really need to right in my journal more. READ YOUR SCRIPTURES AND PRAY!!!
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment