Wednesday, August 14, 2013

From Sydney

So this week has been a week of trying and trying and pretty much failing. Hhaha
 
It's been awesome though. I have found that failure isn't as bad as it used to be. And I really didn't fail, I tried pretty dang hard and just reached something else. Right? I don't not what, but something or the other. And now I am rambling.
 
First off in this lovely email, I want to start of a list of things I have learned on my mission. There have been many things and I have decided I am going to compile a list of things that I have learned:
 
1- 90% of the things I want to do, is not the Lord's will.
2- Turning my heart towards the Lord's will really hurts.
3- Turning your will to the Lord's brings a lot of blessings.
4- Miracles really do exist.
5- This is clearly not my mission- every moment of my mission is the Lord's.
6- Don't allow someone who is on a new lifestyle to buy fast food (your money will be gone)
7- I still hate hot dogs
8- I am allergic to an unknown substance
9- I think it might be nuts or soy -I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER THOUGH!!!
10- (This number I will emit from my families eyes. Sssshhoorrry!)
11- Never answer the phone to your Mission President unprofessionally. Not pro. YIKES!
12- I look like a Victoria Secret Model
13- I am the weakest person I know. I need to rely on the Lord always. He is my strength!
14- Don't make best friends with the Bishop. Or anyone. I also shouldn't wear my hair down. Girls hate me for things that I really don't understand.
15- I am super forgetful
16- I need to watch what I say.
17- I should be on TLC helping Hoarders
18- Never help a Hoarder move.
19- Heavenly Father qualifies and helps his missionaries do everything especially love automatically.
20- Jesus Christ is central to everything.
21- I am pretty sure our family was on the focus 15
22- I am the female version of Lehi.
23- I need the Spirit every moment
24- I know my Savior is my best friend.
25- Old Ladies love the song Count Your Many Blessings
26- Sister Fuimanono takes forever in the Bathroom. She shouldn't eat otterpops.
27- Mary Catherine Zachary should marry a Samoan- they are exactly like her and hate dogs.
28- Perfect obedience is vital
 
I stopped my list right there, but there is a whole lot more.
 
Last week we were with a Sister Training Leader. Sister Johnson was so funny. We found this man who promised us he would come to church. He promised he said. So I am going to watch out for him. Everyone we visited that day, did not answer, except for Clara Shueler who is 98 and can't go anywhere and Betty Ryan who is 94 and also can't go anywhere. I really do love old ladies though. They are so cute!
 
Tuesday we helped a hoarder named Cheryl Gray move. We have been helping her for a couple weeks, but I was getting sick of her keeping everything. I went in my acting mode and I pretended I knew how to reason with a hoarder.
 
"Cheryl, I know it is sad, but you have to get rid of this."
"Cheryl, you are moving to a smaller place, you have to give 70 percent of your stuff. I know it is sad, but you need to."
"Okay, out of all these ear rings, you can only keep one. I know, I know, but these would sale really nicely at a garage sale."
"No one uses those anymore, I don't even think they make batteries for those."
"Girlfriend, that isn't even in style anymore."
 
By the time it was over, she was all excited about getting rid of things. It was a party!
 
Wednesday was Zone Training Meeting, and I had to bare my testimony. I have born my testimony so many times. I love it, but dang, people need to stop picking on me;) We visited so many people on Wednesday, and no one answered us.  And Cheryl fired us cause we knew to much about her and she wanted to live her own life. Man. Failure! We tried so hard, that we were so emotionally drained.
 
Thursday, we went and visited all these people that Salt Lake threw at us and they all moved or never existed. And we got a new investigator! I probably described him before, but his name is Joe and he has this issue that he just doesn't want to change. I keep praying and fasting for him. I read in the Book of Mormon about Amulek and Alma. Amulek was this man that was all set in his ways even though he knew the gospel, and then an angel appeared to him. And he changed. Joe needs one of those experiences. His wife told us: good luck! Better ones than you have tried and failed.
She obviosly does not know Sister Powell and Sister Fui and the power of having the Spirit as your companion!!! WOOHOO!.
 
Friday we yelled at an old woman. Well, sort of. She just couldn't hear us and she was really far away. The whole neighborhood could hear us except for her. Haha. And then an old lady slammed the door in our faces. It's alright, they all are a tiny bit crazy.
 
Sunday we went on splits with this young married girl named Sister Light. It was so funny because everyone we visited wasn't there. Go figure. Haha. Story of our LIVES!
 
We went contacting that day and I was just so fearless. I was just walking through huge crowds offering mormon.org cards to everyone. They all take the card thinking I am twelve. It's really funny. And they all look at me strangely. But it's best to embrace the awkward.
 
Sister Omdahls husband finally passed after having no food for 22 days. She has handled it so well. She had been feeling so alone and hurt, but after her husband died, she said she was surrounded by peace and she was happy, because she knew he was in a better place. I love that we know the Plan of Happiness. Heavenly Father isn't hiding his plan or purpose for us. He loves us so much and lets us know that we can be with our familes again and we will see them! I love Him so much. I love our purpose!
 
I love y'all so much and I pray for you always! I hope y'all have an awesome week. Don't forget to pray and read your scriptures!
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment