Monday, May 20, 2013

The real last one from the MTC


Oi!
 
So we get the awesome opportunity to email our families before we leave. I feel a little awkward right now because I straightened my hair for the Elders in my district, and I don't feel like me. I think it might also have to do that Alex left today.
 
Last night, after we watched the Joseph Smith Movie and the awesome devotional, I said goodbye to Alex. It was so much harder than I thought it would be. I hugged her and I just started crying. I don't feel like I will ever see her again. And I won't, not in a way. The Alex I'll see in 17 months will be so different. I am not used to changing without her. We have gone through everything together. I think the longest I have been separated from her was the lonely months after my birth. And I don't even remember that! I know when I see her next she will be a spiritual giant. She has the potential to be so great in her mission, and I know that Savior will help her reach that potential. I am going to miss her, and it's weird how weird I feel without her.
 
The MTC has been hard, but it's sort of like a cocoon. Just like the Caterpillar struggles, I struggled to become some sort of premature butterfly. The field is going to be so scary, but I am so excited. San Jose California isn't a knock on the door mission, it's a street contacting mission. It's against the law their to proselyte. We also have to become best friends with the ward, but I love the ward already. I just know the people of San Jose California is awesome. I love them, and I know how much Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ loves them. I feel that towards them already. Sister Nerenberg's Grandparents set up a program for missionaries in San Jose, it's called: Just Serve. We do service for the community and that's how we teach and get referrals. I am so excited to serve the community and to meet Grandpa and Grandma Price.
 
I have learned so much here, and I learned so much about myself. I am so weak. I would be home already if it was just me. But I know the Savior is with me, and He is making me strong. He is reminding me everyday that it isn't me doing this work, it's both of us. It isn't me that I need to focus on, it's others. It is my Lord, the people I am serving, my Mission President, and my companions. And if I give myself up completely, some where along the way I will change too. I will change for the better.
 
Brother Durfee told me that when I said the first vision in Portuguese to Jose, it was the strongest he has felt the spirit ever. He told me that I was meant to tell people about that message. I felt the spirit too, and I knew it was the Spirit saying it, not me. And I was so grateful for that moment. The Lord does call ordinary people, and I amazed everyday when He works through me. I love Him so much.
 
This church service this Sunday was really different, our Branch President was really sad we were leaving and made every Sister stand up and say the purpose and first vision. He is so awesome, and loves us so much. President Hodges really magnifies his calling and I felt the Lord's love when he spoke.
 
Here's the first vision in Portuguese (sorry if words are misspelled but it's pretty much how I speak anyway):
 
"Vi um Pilar de luz acima de minha cabeca, mais brillante que o sol, que descia gradualmente sobre mim. Quando a luz pousou sobre mim, vi dois personagens cujo espelendor e gloria desifiam quelquer descrisao, partando em ar, acima de mim. Um deles falou-me, chamando-me pelo name, apartando para o outre, "Este e meu filho, amado-o, ouve o!".
 
I don't know if any of my friends who aren't Mormons are reading this but if they are, I want them to know that I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I know that he restored the Gospel that was on the Earth when Jesus Christ was here. It is Christ's church. I know just like Heavenly Father knew Joseph Smith's name, He knows ours too. He loves us so much. He wants us to have joy and to be happy. And that's why He gave us this gospel. It makes the saddest of people the happiest, the poorest the richest. The Book of Mormon truly testifies of Christ. The Book of Mormon is true and calls men to repentance. It's a book of hope, peace, and love. It is filled with God's tender mercies. It is a perfect companion to the Bible.
 
I wouldn't be dedicating 18 months of my life to a mission if I didn't know if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wasn't a true church. I plan to dedicate my life to the Gospel of Christ because it makes me unbelievably happy. God loves you and wants you to be so happy. Pray to Him always.
 
Cousin Julian! Prepare yourself for your mission buddy. Live worthily. Love the Lord before anything else. Same for all my cousins. Going on a mission is the best decision I have ever made. GO! You will be beyond happy. I love all y'all so much. But I love the Lord more than you:) So I don't miss you all to much, but I will be so excited to see y'all!
 
Read the Book of Mormon! Pray! Go to church! Have family home evenings! Love the Lord!
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell
 
 
 
 


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments

Post a Comment