Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hello from Huntsville

Well talking to ya'll on the phone was about the best thing ever. I seriously was in seventh heaven all day. I'm so lucky to have ya'll as family...It was weird how not weird it was....weird.
So anyway...Christmas was awesome.
First off it snowed. It snowed so much, I thought for suer that I was in Provo... I will tell you one thing, I do not have the clothes for such weather so it better go away real quick.
After I got off the phone with ya'll we went to the Sariava's (the Brazilian family in our ward) There were a lot of people from our ward thereo that was fun to see them and say goodbye. Turns out I sort of know the Sariava's son. Amber if you read this: It was Aruthur Laura's old boyfriend. hahah it was a little bit awkward seeing as I thought he was attractive before and how being a missionary doesn't really change that... Anyway hopefully I played it off pretty well...although I'm sure I didn't. I will just pretend. Anyways...the food was good and they showed us pictures from Brazil and I got somewhat sad that I wasn't there, but that went a way pretty quick.
I think Christmas Eve was a lot harder for me than Christmas day. Sister Stahly was super homesick and wanted to do all the things her family did. I was more for just working through the day and just trying to forget, but that didn't go over so well with her when I mentioned it. She soon started to cry and the next thing I know I was Christmas Caroling door to door. (I did say no to the reindeer ears...seriously) Luckily I was able to convince the elders to come with us (didn't take to much convincing surprisingly) and we had a good time of it. Later that night we (sister sthaly and I) did a christmas story reenactment...haha (Another Stahly tradition) I was everything from the donkey to marry. She was the angel. haha. Let's just say...that night was proof to anyone who doubts that I don't love my compainion. haha she is great. She really is. I don't know what I would do without her.
So like I said last week, we were transferred ten minutes away to Huntsville. It is crazy what a difference ten minutes down the road can be. Our area is huge with a ton of inactives. It is a very rough part of town that we have...a little bit scary. The people are way friendly though. Sometimes too friendly. Sister Stahly almost got a very nasty kiss and I think I have had three marriage proposals this week...and one of them was completely serious. I told him if he can give up his drinking and come to church that we might be able to find him a wife ten times better than me...but he didn't seem to take the offer. (although I don't know maybe he did come.? they cancelled church because of the rain...lame)
Sister Stahly and I had some awesome things happen to us this week. We made the goal of talking to everyone we pass. That was a little more difficult at first than I thought it would be, but the more we did it the better we got at it. It is amazing all the different ways you can change a conversation and connect it to a principle of the gospel. haha.
So anyway we were walking past this one house and I saw a lady smoking on the front porch. We were going to be late for appointment and she didn't seem to be somebody that would be interested at first glance so I just kept walking, but the farther I got the more I thought about the woman until I finally just told sister stahly that we needed to go and talk to her. So we turned around and started talking to Florine. Turns out Florine had met with some elders about a year ago and was going to be baptized but her husband left her while she was pregnant so she decided she wouldn't. She told us that she saw us walk past her yesterday and prayed that we would come back. I almost kicked myself for even thinking about passing her up. We talked to her for a while, committed her to another date and have met with her every day since. FLorine is absolutely amazing. She is from Pompey and is rasing for kids on her own. Their house looks like it is about to fall apart. I honestly have never been in a place anything like it. But despite having so very little she is happy and she knows the church is true. When we came and saw her the next day she had cleaned herself up, thrown out all her cigarrettes, and was waiting for us with her Book of Mormon and Bible in hand. Everyday I look forward to going to her home. Her kids are always so excited to see us. Their is such a great spirit there that you can't help but to be drawn to it.
Anway I wish I had time to say more, but it is time to go. I love being here. The people make it so worth it. Even those that say the ugliest of things, I am thankful for. There was one woman that told me that I was being led by the devil the other day. That bothered me for quite some time. How could somebody actually say that about me? So I asked her. haha...that caught her a little bit off guard. She told us that anything added to the Bible by man is an abomination and that only the devil could lead me to believe in such a book as teh Book of Mormon. I thought about telling her about how Revelation was only one book among tons of books that make up the bible. I thought about telling her that Revelation was actually written after many of the other books that make up the Bible. I thought about telling her that man was not who added to the word but God. I thought about saying a lot of things, but instead only realized that none of that would make a difference in what and how she thought. So instead I just bore my testimony of Christ. The Book of Mormon, everytime I read it brings me to know and love my savior. It drives me to be better. To try my best to live as He lives. It gives me hope that I have a future waiting for me much brighter than I can imagine. And if that is something that the devil has brought me to do, than the devil must have finally wisened up.
I am so glad I am here. Everyday my faith is strengthened. Everyday my need for my faith grows.
THank you for making this possible. I love ya'll.
Sister Powell.

No comments

Post a Comment