Friday, January 28, 2011

:)

Well this week has been yet another eventful one.

Each week seems like a month long.

Love it though.

Where to begin...

As you saw most likely on the mission blog a lady mutilated my hair. Lesson learned: Dry hair cuts on curly hair= no good. It is most likely for the best though...will help me get over some pride issues I guess.

In a weeks time I have had three companions.

I really enjoyed the time I got to spend with Sister Muncy and Sister Robinson in Madison. They were actually working with an investigator that Sister Stahly and I found. She came to church and we taught her a few lessons. It was amazing to see how even after you leave, that your work still matters.

I learned a lot from Sisters Muncy and Robinson as well. It was Sister Muncy's last week as a missionary and I really enjoyed watching her teach. She has so many of the characteristics that I want to have when I leave the mission.

My new living arrangements are wonderful. I'm living with a Temple Square sister (Sister Bruno) from Brazil and two Sisters waiting to go to Brazil (Sister Bee and Sister Jones) so we get to speak a lot of portuguese. Its been comforting to find that while I don't really speak the language yet, I can understand a great majority of it. The sisters are awesome and I love them so much. Sister Bee is my companion. She is AMAZING. Seriously, I love her so much. She is the hardest worker I have ever met and pushes me to work as well. She is also a spanish teacher for High School so it is like I have my very own language tutor. She explains all the gramatical prinicples so well. I think I have learned more in these past four days about the subjunctive then I ever did in all my years of taking french and my few weeks in the MTC. It's always fun listening to her talk to spanish speakers (we've found a lot this week).

It has been wierd being the senior companion. There is really nothing I can teach Sister Bruno about contacting and tracting (Temple Square Sisters are known to be great at both) but it has been intersting being the person that people come to to answer questions and such. But with tracting with Sister Bee for the first time, I have been, in a way, teaching how to contact and tract. She wouldn't stop going on about how confident I am in it...which strangely just made me all the more confident. I was suprised when I caught myself saying "You grow to love tracting," because I really have. I remember two months ago absolutely dreading knocking on people's doors, but now I can't get enough of it. You never know exactly what you will say until that person opens the door, because you never know who will answer. It's fun.

Three cop cars stopped Sister Bee and I on the street the other day. They had been watching us the last couple of days and I guess were worried about us. We informed them that we didn't carry money on us and they gave us their number so we can call if we needed. We ended up telling them all about mormon.org and gave pass along cards to the bunch of them. haha. The best part of the whole thing was when a homeless man, Richard, came running up to us after asking us "What ya did?" Obviously, the mormons being stopped by three police cars doesn't look that good...haha.

One thing I have loved about this week is how hard of a worker sister Bee is. We go all day. We don't even go back home for lunch. We just pack soemthing and eat as we walk. I've loved it. We have found so many people and we teach all day. Teaching the gospel is almost addicting- you just can't get enough of it and luckily there are plenty of people here to teach. The people where we are are so open to learning. It has been crazy. Hardly any of them close their doors and we just go right into a lesson right there. One lady listened to what we had to say and almost started crying when she said "Why have I never heard this before?" It truely has been amazing to see.

I've loved it so much. Each night I am so tired that I hardly can keep awake in my prayers, but it is a good tired.

Well I have to go. I love ya'll. Thank you so much for supporting me in this. Best decision of my life.

LOVE,

SISTER POWELL

No comments

Post a Comment