Friday, April 12, 2013

From Alex


Ola Family!!
 
How are you? I miss you all! and love you so so so so so much!
 
My time at the MTC has been a blur. I swear the days are so long. I feel like I have been here a year yet it's only been a couple days.
 
I'm going to start out with some funny stories because we all know that I do some funny stuff sometimes. Lol
 
FIRST OFF!
 
I LOVEEE MY COMPANION. Her name is Sister Mann and she is the BEST companion ever (sorry future complanions). We are basically the same person but she has blonde hair and is taller then me. But our personalities are so similar.
 
The first day Sister Mann and I left everything in the room so we didnt know where anything was. So we were lost the whole time. We basically went to random classes and sat in them and hoped they were the right ones.
 
Next funny thing is that I stabbed Sister Mann in the eye. That doesn't sound funny but it really is. Here it goes.
 
A random Sister turns to me "Did you get your shirt from JCpenny?"
Me: "YEAH I DID!!"
I whip my arm back thinking Sister Mann wasn't next to me and stab her in the eye with my pen. I FELT SO BAD! Yet I kept on laughing and laughing and laughing because I felt so bad.
Luckily we have been obedient and a miracle happened and it didnt do anything! We were so lucky.
 
Next story:
 
I was walking to class when all the sudden a huge burst of wind comes and my dress flies up. haha not a good thing surrounded by Elders. But slightly funny non the less.
 
Now to my Distict.
 
We have 2 other sisters besides myself and Sister Mann.
There names are Sister Romney and Sister Sandberg and they are so awesome. They bring the spirit so strong.
 
Then we have 6 sets of Elders. They are so funny. We can't study in the room with them because they just joke the whole time. Yet the have they ability to bring the spirit so strong.
Each one of us in our district have become such good friends. We are all going to Salvador and are waiting for our visas.
 
Now to the weeks:
 
So the first day I really can't remember. haha We group taught investigators It made me realize that in order to teach someone we must know them. I also realized that we are all after the samething and that is love.
The only love that can make us truly happy is the love that God and our Savior gives us. That is my purpose is to invite others to come to Christ and feel that love.
 Brother Smith is our teacher at night and he is so inspired. He told us that God has decided that we will speak portuguese so He will not let us fail if we do our part. I learn so much from Brother Smith.
 Sister Mann and I are the only girls going to Brazil in our room the other girls are going to Portugal which is way awesome. I love them so much.
 
 
The next day Brother Smith didn't show up to class... Which was not his fault it wasn't on his schedule. But we had no clue what to do. We didnt know what our schedules meant so we basically just did personal studied the whole day and tried to learn by ourselves. Sister Mann and I went to a Preach my gospel class. The guy that taught it was so amazing. I felt the spirit so strong. He told us that everyone matters even if we dont know them. He told Sister Mann and I that we would be amazing missionaries. I know that with God's help we can be.
 
That night though we had a testimony meeting with our branch presidency. Everyone in our district has been through so much. Each one of us something different. I look up so much to everyone in my district.
 Friday we taught our first lesson in Portuguese. We were all freaking out because none of us know any Portuguese. Yet it went really well. We taught a man named Marcelo (His fake name) We didnt understand a word he said to us so it was kind of hard.
Just because part of teaching takes finding out what an investigator needs but I felt the spirit so strong and I know he did too. I love Marcelo who ever he really is.
 
General Conference was amazing. I feel like most of it was about obedience. Obedience I have come to find out brings you blessings. But strict obedience brings miracles. I love how the apostles said that they are Witnesses that God lives. I thought that was so beautiful.
 
When the Elder's watched priesthood session the Sisters watched the Young Women's session. It was so amazing. I know that right now I am serving the Lord and that it will change everything for my children and my husband. Everything in my life, all the choices I have made, and all the trials I have faced have led me to this mission. I know that I am a daughter of God and that He loves me so much. I also know that I accepted the Gospel in Heaven and that everyone on earth did too. All I am doing is reminding them that they have already made that choice. They have made the choice to accept the Gospel.
 
Sunday night after Sister Mann and I did choir we watched a talk by Elder Holland. I want you all to know that I am not going to waste a single moment of my mission. Right now my calling is almost the same calling as the Apostles. I have been ordained by God to bring the Gospel to all the Earth. I will not fail my Heavenly Father. There are people waiting for me in Brazil people ready to hear the message I bring to them. Also vocal point came which was awesome because I love listening to music and miss it so much!
 
Marcelo we found out on Sunday has a family but can't work because he has knee surgery. I feel like my portuguese is coming really slow. But of course Brother Smith had more advice he said that we are not here to learn poruguese, that will come, we are here to learn how to teach.
 
Tuesday was my hardest day for sure. For some reason I just didnt feel good enough to be here (which of course Im not but through God I am.) But Brother Lund came and spoke to us and he answered my prayer. First Be Still My Soul was sung. It was so beautiful. But Brother Lund said that Satan uses us weaknesses and makes us confuse that with revelation. He makes you feel bad and unworthy because he wants you to feel as you do.
 
Wednesday was our last day teaching Marcelo which was so sad. I feel like I couldnt teach him the way I needed to. Brother Smith said something else though "Elder Packer said we must give up our agency for Gods will and trust that God loves us well enough to hold us up. It is only when we give up our will that We will learn portuguese" That is my goal.
 
Thursday, GUESS WHO IS OUR NEW MORNING TEACHER?! Marcelo! AKA Brother Butters!!!!!! He served his mission with Mckenzie! He is so awesome he is such an inspiration also. He teaches us a little slower then Brother Smith and showed us that if we learn for our investigator we will learn better. I realized that I know so much more words then I think I do.
 
The real Marcelo was baptized :)
 
Im out of time. But I love you all so much. The MTC showers might be gross and the food might be nasty but I have learned more then I have ever learned in my life here.
The MTC is a lot different then I thought it was going to be.
But better. I have learned that I must teach myself portuguese.
It is only when I learn how to teach myself and give up my will and learn for those that I will be teaching that I will learn portuguese.
 
I know that God lives and that He gave us His Son so that we can live with Him once more.
 
I can not wait to serve those in Brazil.

Pray for me but more for those I will serve.
 
PS. email me and WRITE ME! Use dear elder.
 
I am the only one in my district that doesnt get letters.
 
Only carrie and Kenze have sent me anything.
 
I miss Ya'll alot! I miss syd too. I dont see her a lot... Keep her in your prayers always!
 
my address is Sister Powell
MTC Mailoz #113
Bra-Sal 0513
2005 N 900 East
provo utah 84604.
 
LOVE YOU!
 
Know that God loves you :)

No comments

Post a Comment