Monday, June 27, 2011

Well I can't work a computer

I am trying to send photos, but the computer is speaking to me in portuguese and so is this 16 year old boy sitting next to me so it is creating quite the distraction. This week was so much better than last week! It was challenging but so fulfilling. Wonderfully so :) So I was made senior. I was in Alabama, but it is a whole different ball game in Portuguese. The first day, I serisouly thought I would puke seven times throughout the day (in everyone of our lessons). I have had to take the lead in almost everything. I have had to answer difficult questions. I have had to teach Brazilians. The amazing thing is, everytime I thought I wouldn`t be able to answer or teach, I would just force myself to open my mouth and by some miracle, I spoke portuguese (I am fully aware how awful my grammar is btw. I am sorry). It really is amazing this whole learning a new language as a missionary. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming. We are also opening a new area. I am still in Terra Vermelha but we are working in an area that has never had missionaries before. I was so at a lost at where to begin the first day. I looked at Sister Nicascio and asked, " So which way do you want to go?" Her reply was a shrug of the shoulders. So I decided to ask the guy that was riding by on the bike. I am pretty sure he thought I was crazy when I said, "Hi young man (yes that is how they greet each other), we are missionaries of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and we need to know which way to go to find people that are ready to teach our very important message...So what do you think. That way? Or that way?" He was very much inspired. We found three people who will be baptized. And we will teach him this week. :) President and Sister Pickett leave this week. I was so sad to see them go. I will have three sets of mission presidents. It is a blessing that is for sure. I learn so much from everyone of them. President Pickett pushed me to be my best. From the moment I arrived he has asked me to do things that I didn`t really think I was capable of doing. I was wrong; he was right :) Have I told ya`ll how much I love you? Because I do. I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and such a great family. Everyday I miss ya`ll. But I wouldn`t want to be anywhere else. I love Brazil. I love the people. I love being a missionary, and I love the message we have to share. God is in this work. It is His work. I love ya`ll Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment