Sunday, June 19, 2011

Halfway (from 6/6/11)

So this week was hard. Not sure why...Actually I know why. It was my lack of focus (a member watching the new Harry Potter movie did not help!! haha). It made the days just drag by, brought on a dose of homesickness, and all the rest. But I gave myself a good kick in the butt and went to work, and it was amazing how much better the week went. One thing I have learned, you can`t be a missionary while thinking about yourself. Just doesn`t work out well... So I am officially halfway into my mission! How crazy is that? I feel like I have been a missionary forever, but then at the same time, it feels like yesterday that Rachel dropped me off at the MTC. I love being a missionary. Everyday is a roller coaster of emotions, but I love it. I am so grateful for these last nine months for all the people I have met, for the experiences I have had, the opportunities to grow. But I am even more grateful that I have another nine months to the same and even more. I love how everyday we can learn something new. I love to study and I love to learn, and a mission is a great place to do it. I am constantly walking around with note cards, a book, or something to memorize. And it is not just learning the language that I love...I love studying this Gospel. The Plan of Salvation absolutely fasinates me. It blows my mind how perfectly simple it is, but yet, how intricately complex it can be. It is a great thing to ponder about when my mind starts to wander... I love how in the Church of Jesus Christ we have the resources to learn something new everyday. We have the scriptures (Book of Mormon, Bible, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price..), the prophet, and the Holy Ghost, and as a result, the amount of things we can learn in this life is endless--always something new to learn, and always something new to apply to your life. The cool thing is, that it is in the application that you truly do the learning. This week Daniela and Andriea were baptized! They are such cute girls and are such an asset to our Branch. Andriea will start seminary and is always so excited at all the activities. After the baptism she came out with us to teach, and it was the greatest experience. Both those girls will not only bring the gospel to the rest of their family but will lift all those around them. We are working with some amazing people. It is crazy how busy we are! We have started to do divisions more so that we will have time to see all our investigators. It about gives me a heart attack every time I have to leave Sister Cunha and Sister Nicascio`s sides, but it is a great learning experience. I still have to listen so hard that I have a constant headache so that I can understand things that are going on and be able to communicate, but I am starting to gain more and more confidence. I found out this week that I will be teaching an English class in our branch. It should be fun. I will keep ya`ll updated. Speaking of reaching points, I have started to have to stuff food in my purse. These people do not take no for an answer...I love to eat, but if I ever want to get a reasonably attractive husband when I return (which is something I will inevitably have to do...I am starting to come to grips with that) something will have to change...so for now the food goes into the purse. I am actually surprisingly sly...very surprising, I know. Well we are going on a little trip today to the convent. I will take pictures for sure! There will be monkies!! Speaking of monkies, we were teaching a lesson, and a monkey climbed up and stole a banana...seriously. I love Brazil. I love ya`ll. Thank you for everything you do! OH! And have fun on the family vaction! And Sydney and Alex, have fun at BYU!!!! Be good :) Love, Sister Powell



No comments

Post a Comment