Sunday, June 19, 2011

untitled 5/30/11

(I've been out of town for a while, so have a few of Sister Powell's emails to post) This one is from May 30, 2011:

There is so much happening here. I feel so blessed to be serving in such a wonderful area with such wonderful companions. Everyday I learn something new from either the people we are teaching, my companions, and the Spirit. I am so thankful to be here.

We found so many wonderful people this week. We are teaching so much, walking so much, and working so hard that it is a fight to stay awake in my prayers at night (more so than before that is haha).

I learned an important lesson about judging people this week. The first time I met Maria and Marcelini, I thought for sure they were crazy. Maria wouldn`t stop repeating the things we were saying, and she made nearly impossible for me to get a word out. I had no desire to go back, but we did. I am so glad we did! They are two of the funniest people I have ever met. Marcelini`s story is awesome. He has come in contact with missionaries 4 times before. Three times he told them he wanted nothing to do with what they had to say, and the fourth time they never showed up for the follow-up appointment (That made me want to kick myself in the butt). He told us he knew what we had to say was true because the peace we brought in his home was unlike anything he had ever felt before, and that ever since we left the day before he had been praying that we would come back. It was cool to see the difference in his face. There was a new kind of light to it, and in his mom`s as well. His mom is bit crazy, but I think we all become acrazed with age....

But the story of them gets even better! I did a division Sunday morning. Sister Nicascio and I went on our own to teach two lessons while Sister Cunha went with an Irma in our ward. I about had a heart attack, because Sister Nicascio is a very new missionary, a very new member, and hardly says a word in our lessons so I knew that it would be me that was leading the lessons. The first lesson we taught was an absolute disaster. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry, but luckily my pride kept me from doing it. The second lesson was with Maria and Marcelini, and it will forever be a lesson I remember. Maria`s nephew was there, and he was absolutely obnoxious. As soon as we started reading a passage from the Book of Mormon he went on a rampage about how the book was of the devil and that what we were doing was of the devil as well. I about had a panic attack when Sister Nicascio didn´t say a word, but then Marcelini got up and sat beside me and told his couisn that each time he read the book he felt it was true so that was that. The next thing I knew Maria was saying the same. The spirit that their testimonies brought to the lesson was exactly what I needed. I was able to teach calmly about how the Book of Mormon testified of Christ, to teach the purpose of the Book, and then to invite him to meet with us this week to learn more. The change that came about him was remarkable- he went from looking like he had aunts in his pants to...I don`t know what...a calm person that wants to hear more (I know, I`m so creative). Point of the story, I love Maria and Marcelini. I will never forget that moment with them. Each time we go to their home, they are progressing. Each time my testimony is strengthened in what this gospel can do for people. Marcelini and Maria are Heavenly Father`s children and they have been looking for this gospel for quite sometime. I think often times we want to find people that are ready to be baptized that week, but I am grateful that is not always the case. We find people, and then help them understand the Atonement so that they can become better. It is beautiful process to observe.

I love being a missionary. This week was a little harder then others. I want so badly to teach like I was in Alabama. To be the missionary I was there, but it is a struggle everyday to get the message across that I want. I am learning patience- something that the Lord has been trying to teach me since the start of my mission. Everyday I improve in my ability to teach, but it takes patience and diligence. I end everyday with a headache, but I am happy. I am happier than I have ever been.

Thank you so much for all that ya`ll do.

I LOVE YA´LL (haha my companions are saying ya`ll in our English lessons :))

Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment