Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Time for the rocket. Once again.

So this week was awesome.

First off, the weather has been amazing. There were a few days that I think I walked the span of Huntsville and thought my toes and fingers would fall off from cold, but these last few days have been AWESOME. I just walk outside and am so happy.

Terry's baptism was awesome! So many members showed up and Terry was literally glowing. He received the gift of the Holy Ghost and the Priesthood this Sunday and is already starting to save up for his mission. HOW AMAZING IS THAT?

The Winchester ward seriously has been amazing. They are so excited about missionary work and the help they offer is so much needed. We have too many investigators to sit with them all at church this Sunday, but they didn't even give me a moment to begin to stress about it because there was always a member that grabbed one as soon as they walked in.

We gave a youth devotional that night for all the Huntsville wards. It was fun, and I think the Youth really enjoyed it. We called it a MTC night. Each youth was given a mission call. Then, they were split up by their missions to learn how to pray in their language (either Portuguese or Spanish), while the others were learning to pass out pass along cards. For the closing part, all eight of us missionaries shared our reasons for coming. It was fun to talk to them and to just be honest. My story was so ridiculous, but it was nice to say out loud. Mostly, because I came to realize how I needed to go through everything I did that last year. I needed to be convinced that Chad Rogers was the person I was supposed to marry, because I wasn't supposed to go on a mission then. I needed him to break up with me, because I needed to grow up and learn I can't have everything my way. I needed to learn all that. I needed my knee to decided to be ridiculous so that I wouldn't go on a mission in my mentally crazed state. I needed to get called to Brazil so that I could be reassigned to Alabama. My mission here has been unique, but that's how it needed to be. And eventually when I get to Brazil, I know the things I learned here will benefit me and others there.

God has a plan for each and everyone of us. Sometimes it isn't exactly what we expect or want, but if we look for the good in every situation, make the best of it, thank God for every bit of it, we can be truly happy. What amazing thing life is. I love it.

Lynette is going to be baptized this week. I've been working with her since the very first week in Alabama. We lost her for a little while, but then she moved to Winchester area and she called us up and we started again. SHE IS FLYING. A couple of days ago, she came on a teamup with us. Our appointment canceled so we just went contacting on A&M campus. She loved it! She was bearing her testimony right and left. It was so cool to hear her saying those things that she had learned for herself.

One thing, I've come to realize these last few weeks--I'm a horrible teacher. Words get all jumbled. Thoughts don't make since. But none of that matters when the Spirit is there. The spirit simplifies our understanding of things and we need the spirit to truly comprehend the Lord's plan for us. How grateful I am for the Spirit, because if we didn't have it as our companion, us missionaries would have destroyed this church a long time ago.

Another thing I've come to realize--most people think we are a little nuts. (A man with a pony tale told me that moments after telling Sister Bee that she had big feet haha) And you know we would be crazy, if our message we had to share wasn't true.

Well, I'm sure lot's of things happened that I would love to tell ya'll about, but my mind has gone blank.

OH! I labeled everything in our apartment with a Portuguese sticky note. The apparent looks ridiculous, but it is helping with knowing the vocabulary of those basics. It also helps to have a Brazilian living with you. Sister Bruno is amazing. I might not let her ever leave.

Ok, I love ya'll SOOOOOO MUCH. Thanks for supporting me in this. THanks for being such great examples to me. THanks FOR EVERTHING. I love being a missionary. If I didn't love ya'll so much, I might never come back :)

Love,

Sister McKenzie POwell



No comments

Post a Comment