Thursday, July 11, 2013

from Sydney

Oi! Familia e Amigos e Animigas (no idea how to spell that but it means enemies;)),
 
This is going to be a short letter! So, I am on my third area! When I went to transfers, I was super sad. And then we sang Till We Meet Again, and I was just like 'meh'. My life!! But President Watkins was joking about the airline service here, applied I will probably be moved a couple more times (but it is a learning experience and will prepare me for my future), and gave me an awesome companion named Sister Fuimaono. She is from Samoa. We are speaking English. Meh. But it is awesome. We are in charge of the Livermore Stake. We are basically pink washing. I am in Livermore California, the land of wine and the super rich.
 
Everyone here either goes to Cornerstone, Trinity, or Saint Micheals. And they really hate Mormons. It's super funny and awkward. We have only one investigator, and we are here to work with all the women. The Elders are supposed to give us all their women investigators, but that would mean giving up ALL their investigators, so we are just supporting them.
 
Sister Fui is super nice. She is so funny. She has been here for 8 months. She was in the Poly Program here, so we always make fun of the white people and their lack of feeding us.
 
We have visited a lot of Widows, part member families, and less actives. There was this one woman who is 95, who was super sad. She couldn't here anything. She kicked us out after we sang to her. Ha.
 
Our only investigator is Judy. She hates the Mormon church. She has a daughter who is a member, and all of her family is too.
 
Not much happened this week. We are going to teach Judy about the Book of Mormon. Sister Fui and I are going to work so hard. We have crazy awesome leaders who are so pumped for missionary work.
We taught this lady named Sister Tuia. We were talking about her family, when I felt like I needed to tell her to bear her testimony to her children. She is a recent convert, and her children are struggling. Sister Fui felt the same too. It was awesome to feel the spirit and be united with my companion.
 
 There is so many people here waiting for the gospel. Everyone has welcomed us. So many people in this City have let us into their homes because they have never seen Sisters. The wards (and yes I say wards. CHURCH IS SO LONG!!!!) haven't seen Sisters in 20 years. All the members are so excited. We are supposed to go on splits with the Laurells and Relief Society. This Ward is going to grow. I came here not having so much faith. But it has been the focus all week. I didn't have faith in this area. People are way prideful here, and super rich. They have classes here that bash the church, it's basically the south. I didn't believe that anyone could come to the church. I just super wanted to get to Brazil. But then the Stake President turned to me and told me there was someone here just for me. I am going to find that person. There are so many good people here. And I know with the Lord's help, we can find people who are ready.
 
There is a quote that says "In the Gospel of Jesus Christ, fear is the opposite of faith. If you have fear, faith diminishes, but if you have faith, fear diminishes. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we need have no fear. We need not fear death, because we have Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ & His gift of the Resurrection. We need not fear what man can do to us, because we know that if God is with us & we have faith in Jesus Christ, we can accomplish whatsoever thing is expedient to His work...Paul teaches "For God hath not given us the Spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and sound of mind"- Brent H. Nielson.
 
I realized that the member here have the same fear I had. They thought it was enough to just be an example and to send the missionaries to do the work. Nope. They have to open their mouths (GOOD JOB BRADYN). The Lord is hastening his work, and He needs help. Missionaries need ALOT of help. My goal for everyone at home, invite nonmembers to your house and invite the missionaries too. Go out with the missionaries. Become the missionaries best friends. Invite the missionaries over to train you to do missionary work. Give them people to teach at your home. It's good to be an example, but it's even better to speak. They won't hate you for it, in the end they will love you for it!
 
I love y'all so  much. Next weeks letter will be better:)
 
Love,
 
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment