Saturday, August 20, 2011

I´m not in Terra Vermelha anymore

So I am now in a city. And Oh goodness is it different. I had gotten so used to Terra Vermelha- horses and all. But now I am in the city, and let me tell ya, it was a shock. The cars zoom by. The stores actually have options (I saw cereal for the first time in four months this week). And there are soooo many people to talk to. And I talk to them all, bums and all. Haha I think it was a bit of a shocker for Sister Johnson, but it is just so much fun. I love doing contacts. Speaking of contacts, a bird pooped on my head while I was in the middle of telling a man that we had a prophet today. Haha. That was fun. But it turns out God has a purpose in everything, because I decided I did not want to go the rest of the day walking around with bird gunk in my hair so I knocked on a door and asked her if she wanted to hear our message. Of course the answer was the usual, I am Evangelical (which is never the response to the question I ask to get the conversation going, but is always the response). But luckily, I was able to save the conversation by telling her my situation and she let me in to her house and even let me use some of her very good smelling shampoo. She thought it was so funny that she wants us to come back. We are working with some very different people. The people in Terra Vermelha were very humble, and these people are not so much. But it is fun teaching them, because they ask great questions and really seem to think about what we are teaching. Even better, they remember what we taught. It has made this week very enjoyable. We taught less lessons, but I am convinced that if we pick up the speed in our walking and plan a little better that we will be teaching lessons just like we were before! My favorite investigator (of the week) is Valmar. He is sooooo old and soooo cute. I just love going to his house and talking to him. One day we were talking about who knows what and I told him about my love for chocolate. The next day he had boughten one box for each of us. Made my week. My heart really does hurt for him though. He is very rich, but has no one. He told us that he lost everything because of his obsession for money, and now it was all he has left. He truely is alone, but his experiences have humbled him, and he truely is developing a testimony in this gospel. He is doing all the necessary step for baptism and has a date for next week. I am enjoying training Sister Johnson. It has been fun to see how much I have improved in Portuguese since the first weeks here. I am learning a lot from training her. It was the same with Sister Nicascio. I think when I get put in a responsibility where I have to teach, I always learn more than the people I teach. Speaking of teaching, I have to do a training at our zone conference tommorow. When the Elder called and asked me to do it, I tried to pretend that I didnt understand what he was saying...he didn`t buy it. haha That will be fun. Well I love you all. I love being a missionary. I love how much I am learning. I love the people I am serving. I MISS YA´LL! Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment