Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Elder, this is not the language they taught me in the MTC

So, I land in Sao Paulo, and all of a sudden everyone speaks Portuguese. Every one speaks Portuguese here. Unfortunately, I do not. My head feels like it is going to explode. My feet really look like they are ready to explode. Rachel, I would put money on my feet being more swollen then yours at this very moment. . Yes, I finally made it too Brazil. Seven months into my mission and I am here. Everyone kept telling me that they had given up on me coming when I landed. I told them I did too. Where am I now? A small town that is two hours north of Victoria called Linhares. For the first three days I just sort of floated. I just followed my trainer (I finally have a trainer) around like a lost puppy. It is fascinating how different it is from the United States. People walk around at all hours of the day, (without clothes, but I would be right along with them if I wasn`t a missionary...it is hot!) they drive like crazy people (I felt like I was on that bus in the third Harry Potter Book on my way to Linhares), they speak this language that sounds like they are singing, and they just are different. There is a bar, a church, and a salon on every street. The people are absolutely amazing. I don`t think I have ever met a more loving people. They are so willing to help and they all make me feel loved. Some a little too loved, but for the most part just the right amount. Being a missionary here is so much different then in the States. First off, we do not have cars or bikes. We walk everywhere, hence the swollen feet. We clap at doors, rather than knock. Almost everyone lets you in. We actually eat with the members, but we eat lunch. And boy do we eat lunch. I have never had someone give me so much food, and I wouldn`t dare not eat all of it. Most of the members never eat with us, and I know they are going without so that they can feed us. It is also interesting how there is such a drastic difference between the poor and the rich. Oh, and did I mention that they all speak Portuguese? I can actually understand a whole lot more than I thought I would be able to. It depends on the day, the person talking, and how much I am concentrating; however, I can not, in any way speak it. haha. It is actually pretty funny. The members here are fascinated with me. The questions from the women (young and old) always go like this...Where are you from? How old are you? Followed by, I thought you were 16! Then they ask if I have a boyfriend? I say no, and they all say, "But why not?!" And then I am told all about their brother, their nephew, their cousin... haha. My companion`s name is Sister Morales. She is american/mexican. She has been out for more than a year, and is a great missionary. It is interesting having a trainer after being a missionary for so long, but it is so good to have her. I have no idea what is going on here, and she is so willing to help. It was so frustrating the day I finally came out of dream land and tried to actually be a missionary. I have come to so love to teach, but I can~t really do that here. There is nothing more frustrating than having the words you want to say in your head, but not being able to say them out loud. I love it here, though. I`m just so thankful to finally be here. I really missed Alabama the first few days, but I know that this is where I should be. I love being a missionary so much. You truly never know what to expect. I think that is the biggest thing I have learned about life from my mission...just go with it. I love being a missionary. I love Brasil. I love my companion. I love my mission. What a crazy mission. haha. I love all ya'll. I still can only email my family, but I write everyone soon. Thanks to everyone that has helped make this possible. Sorry this is most likely the most scattered email ever, but that is what my brain is like at the moment. Everywhere. LOVE YOU! Sister Powell

1 comment

  1. I've been holding on to a letter for Kenzie since I found out she was heading to Brazil. Did she send an new address?

    ReplyDelete