Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm just so happy :)

From: McKenzie Powell [mailto:mckenzie.powell@myldsmail.net] Sent: Mon 3/7/2011 11:35 AM To: Kevin Powell; Mom; Sydney; Alex Subject: I'm just so happy :)
Prepare for a guilt trip family... I get online and only have an email from Alex, grandma, and Megan. What is with that? I expect handwritten apologies from every single one of you!
So this week was a little rough. I was sick for a while and so was sister bee. Sister Bee had some kind of cold that kept us from going on our bikes in the rain. I was throwing up in the bathroom all one night. I will say this, I don't care how old I get, when I have a stomach bug all I want is my mommy. Anyways, that was no fun.
But a miracle happened this week! After eighty eight years of life, Sister Hazel prayed in front of a man. It was the most amazing thing ever. Sister Hazel grew up Church of Christ, and in that church, women are not allowed to pray or teach in the presence of a man. We were just closing our lesson with a prayer and as soon as Sister Bee stopped, Sister Hazel started up. She just thanked our Heavenly Father for sending Sister Bee and I to her and Brother Thomas, and asked him to watch over us as we left. It was one of the simplest prayers I have ever heard, but it was by far the most beautiful. I wish ya'll could have seen Brother Thomas's face afterwards. Sister Bee said that his hands were shaking throughout the whole thing. We didn't say anything about it until after we left. I knew it would embarrass her, more so than our faces were already doing. But it simply was a miracle. That moment was the beginning of an answer to many prayers.
What an amazing thing a mission is. Tomorrow I will have been out for six months. How strange is that? I don't think I can think of a time I have ever been happier. I realized the other day that that happiness comes from having the spirit with me always. I want to feel like this all the time. Even when things go downhill (which they do often), I still just feel happy. I don't know how to really explain it. I am coming to better understand how to utilize this wonderful gift that I was given at eight years old. I have realized that when I pray for guidance, do all that is in my power to receive it and prepare for it, I can know those things that will help me in my work. I have also learned, that as I stop relying on myself, the spirit provides a way for me to teach each of my very different investigators. I have learned so much, I feel myself changing more so than I ever have before, and I very much like the changes that are coming.
In the words of Uncle Randy, "I'm just so happy!"
haha. Another thing that I'm learning, is that as I study for those I teach, I learn so much more than I ever could by studying for myself. I hate thinking about myself these days. I don't ever want to go back to a world where I become the main focus. I think I'll just stay doing this forever.
Well, my friends. I love you. I miss you. I hope ya'll are having a wonderful day. Thank you for making this possible. Oh, and daddy, I'm going to buy new shoes. Just thought you should know.
Love,
Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment