Monday, March 21, 2011

FW: run over by a pit bull

[NOTE from Sister Powell's dad: I keep this blog for McKenzie and missed posting her email last week. The post before this one (also posted today) is last week's email. Just got really busy. Sorry, but the great thing is we get two posts this week. Think of it as a bonus! :)]

Ok, so the bikes are awesome. I love the bikes. Not only is it the perfect excuse to have about ten people a day ask what we are doing, but I love the exercise. I even get double, because Sister Bee is so slow that I often have to back track. She is hillarious- one speed only. I tried teaching her how to use gears and such, but she doesn't seem to want anything to do with it. Have I told ya'll how much I love Sister Bee? Because I do. If she was a male, I most likely would marry her.

But back to the bikes, because they always make the best stories.

I was not pulled over by any cops this week, but I was run over by a pit bull. Jasmine is the biggest pit bull I have ever seen. At first glance I thought I was looking at a black bear, but I was then assured by the owner that his dog was completely friendly but did like tires so I should keep my distance. Well, as typical, we started talking about the gospel to the owner, and while I was looking for a Word of Wisdom phamplet, I was tackled by the dog. Jasmine ways far more than me (even with the ten pounds I've gained as a missionary...I know mother, I know) so needless to say me and my bike went a crashing. As a result, I now have a very attractive bike mark on the side of my left leg. But it all worked out for the best, because yesterday I was able to win "my scab story is better than yours" in my car ride with Tyler (a nine year old) and was invited back to the guy's place.

Let me see...So Scott is being baptized this week. Scott is amazing. I don't think I have ever said anything about him before. In our first lesson with him, he was not all there...He could barely open his eyes and he said the most outrageous of things. For example, "Bob Marley is a prophet." Needless to say, I judged him and didn't think it would go anywhere. Next time we met with him, not only were his eyes able to open, but he had read almost half of the Book of Mormon. He was making all these connections to the Bible that I have never even made. I learned a really big lesson from that-never judge anyone. We don't know there story. We don't know what has made them who they are at that first moment we meet them, but we do know what the Gospel of Jesus does for everyone. Since then, he has invited two of his friends to come and meet with us, and they are both planning to be baptized as well.

I live for moments like those. Missions are so hard. This week we have been working some really different areas. I have felt like we should go to this area for a while, but I put it off because it is one of the wealthiest areas in Huntsville. You know what Christ said about a camel passing through an eye of a needle being easier than a rich man entering the kingdom of God? (don't quote me on that one) Well, it is true. The richer you are, the less hospitable you are. (once again, don't quote me on that). I have had more doors slammed in my face this week, than I have ever had in my life. To be fair, I know they have no idea what we are doing, but it still doesn't make it easy. I cry almost everytime- like I said, they don't know what it is they are rejecting. I start to get really frustrated. I start to wonder why God would send young missionaries to tell the world His message, when we will only ever touch a few. But then I think back to the plan our Heavenly Father has for us, how everyone will have an opportunity, and my doubt is replaced by calm. Then someone will not just slam the door, but tell me something that is truely disturbing. Then again I start to get worked up and think about their beliefs and hate in my mind. But then I go back and think about the plan our Heavenly Father has for us, how I have come to know it is true, and my feelings of frustration and doubt are replaced by the sweetest calm. This happens over and over throughout the day, and it is interesting thinking back at it. The feelings, the doubts, the conclusions all helped me in teaching someone later that week. The feelings, the doubts, the conclusions, all helped me strengthen my testimony.

The gospel is so true. It brings us happiness and makes us better, because it brings us to Christ. And that is what this life is all about. We left our Heavenly Father, only because we knew that we could come back to him better than we were when we left him. I love being a missionary. I love how hard each day is, but how absolutely wonderfully worth it always ends up being. Thank you for helping me in this. I love ya'll so much.

Love,

Sister Powell

1 comment

  1. Sister Powell's dad -- thanks for keeping the blog updated. Your daughter is truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete