Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14, 2011 7:45 AM

From: McKenzie Powell [mailto:mckenzie.powell@myldsmail.net] Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 7:45 AM To: Mom; Kevin Powell; Alex; Sydney Subject: This week was tough. It felt like everything that could possibly go wrong went that way. And when everything is going wrong, it is really hard not to get discouraged. And it is when we are discouraged that Satan sure can start getting into your mind. As a missionary you always wonder if you really are doing your best, and you always feel like you need to be better. It gives you a lot of reason to grow, and usually I love it. But goodness this week, I just wanted to throw in the towel and run to the nearest movie theatre, buy some raisnettes, and stay there forever. But luckily I have Sister Peterson who is so awesome. She always has a smile despite not understanding anything that is going on in the world around her at the moment. haha. She really helps me a lot. She doesnt say much more in the lessons than the part that she has practiced, so it has left a pretty heavy load on me the past two weeks. I have had to stretch myself a lot in the language and in just being an effective missionary, but it has helped so much to know that I have her with me. I am supposed to be her trainer, but here she is teaching me. She always is up for any challenge. I am one that believes that the real learning comes from doing rather than watching, so I push her to do a lot of things that I dont think I would even have the guts to do at her stage in the mission, but she always goes in head first and is learning so fast as a result. Anyway we have this thing every week called companion inventory (which is something I think every married couple should apply to their lives). In comp inventory you talk about the unity you have in your companionship, the strengths of the other, and you end with something you can do to improve (Sister Bee was always the best at finding ways that I could be better...cut right to the heart at times. But the truth does that). Anyway here I was thinking the whole week that I was just not making a bit of a difference in anyones life (though of course I stick to the usual McKenzie route and dont say anything to anyone) and Sister Peterson just says exactly what I needed to here. Answer to prayers. And then we go to our meeting with the ward leadership and our leader who works with the seminary program started talking about two boys that were going to seminary every week and helping reactivate a whole bunch of young men in the area. I asked who they were and it turns out they are Paulo and Junior who Sister Nicascio and I found and taught in Terra Vermelha. It couldnt have made me happier. I am so grateful that God pushes us to be our best by giving us trials, but that he always sends us tender mercies to give us the hope and assurance we need to push on forward. I am so grateful that I am a missionary. Every week is flying by so fast and I wish it would stop. This has been the best 14+ months of my life and I have loved watching the small and great miracles that happen everyday while trying to do the work of the lord. It is a rollercoaster ride that I would gladly jump on again. I have asked Sister Peterson several times if she would switch places with me. Haha. I sure do love each and everyone of you. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with such a wonderful family. Life sure is wonderful. I hope yall are enjoying every minute of it. Love, Sister POwell

No comments

Post a Comment