Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm 22!

Thank you so much for the package. The foot lotion was very much needed (thank you alex) haha. We do so much walking...my shoes are already looking rough. Haha speaking of walking this week I had a huge dog attempt to attack me. The owner just watched the entire time. Didn't even try to come and get him. I will say that I was proud that I kept my composure by only screaming once and choosing not to run. It was pretty scary. It was not only barking but growling and snarling. It was kind of strange, it would come close to us but would never get close to bite us so we were able to slowly edge our way along the road. I will admit I thought some very unkind things about the owner. We avoid walking home that way now.

Anyway...better news. This week I thought for sure I was going to get transferred to the University. I admit that made me feel a few emotions. I think it would be awesome to work with people my age all the time, but I was also sad because we are making so much progress here. But when we were talking to President he decided that he would keep sister Stahly and I here for another transfer (or until we get our visas). So here it is I stay.

I found out this week that Sister Stahly and my situation is quite unique. Not only did we not have trainers, but we were also opening a new area. That means that we had to start completely from scratch. But I am so grateful that we were able to do that. We have learned so much and are continuing to do so. It was a blessing in a very very convincing disguise.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I have grown to love it here. That alone has made such a difference in the success we are having. Sister Stahly and I are constantly smiling and finding ways to talk to people. We are teaching so many lessons and talking to so many people. I can't think of the last door that was slammed in my face. There are people that are not interested, but I have learned that if you show interest in them they usually show more interest in you and what you have to say. Each time we call and report our district leader is so surprised at our numbers. The Lord is blessing us so much.

I don't think I have told ya'll about Thadias for a while. He was taught by the missionaries in Washington, but moved to Alabama and hasn't had anything to do with the Church since. Well we have been teaching him since last week. For the first few days, he had me convinced that he was somewhere short of crazy. Turns out that he was messing with us. Which 1. made me want to slap him 2. made me want to cry. I think I did cry. Ok I did. Which helped a lot actually. Anyways we made him promise to stop messing with us and we have been meeting with every day. He came to church and everyone loved him. Anyway he is going to be baptized the 18th. I can't even begin to say how happy that makes me.

Lynette is doing well. She so wants to do the right thing and she loves coming to church. She smoked a cigarette yesterday so we are going to have to move her baptismal date back a bit, but she knows what she wants and she will get there. She has been bringing her husband to the lessons as well this week and he has also been striving to work to understanding the gospel. He has also been striving to live the Gospel of Christ- which is a crucial key to coming to an understanding of it.

I wish I had time to tell ya'll about the other amazing people we are teaching, but I will just leave it at that for now.

I've never been a mom, but I think teaching these people has made me more aware of what it must feel like to be one. You worry about them constantly. Pray about them constantly. Are devastated when they make choices that you know will hurt them. And are ecstatic when they make ones that will bless their lives. Your entire day is centered around them to the point where you have hardly anytime to think about anything else. I love it.

And thinking of that makes me think more about the love our Heavenly Father has for us. He loves us so much that he has given us every possible tool that there can be for us to be able to return home to him. I can't imagine how happy he must become when we choose to follow and keep his commandments. How happy he must become when we choose to use the Atonement of His son constantly. But how completely sad he must become when choose not to.

But the fact that he allows us to make those choices is just further evidence of his love for us.

We are so blessed to be here. To be part of this plan. To be here. To have the choices we do. To have the future that we do have.

I love it so much.

I love being here so much. It is still the hardest, most frustrating thing I have ever done. But it is the best, most rewarding thing I have yet to do.

Thank you so much for making this possible.

Love,

Sister Powell

No comments

Post a Comment