Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Not so sweet Alabama

So I'm sitting at yet again another counting down computer. This time in a library in Madison, Alabama (the most classy and uptown place I have ever seen in the south). Anyway I only have about thirty two minutes left and then I have to go...soo let's see if I can do this.

I read all your emails and I will for sure write ya'll back responses...just the old fashioned way. I'm glad your pup survived daddy. And Sydney you look beautiful without your braces (even though you did when you had them on as well). I cracked up at ya'lls pictures. It looks like ya'll are having an awesome senior year.

O goodness I don't even know where to begin. It has been such a long week. I'm so glad our mission president called you. Like he said I'm in Madison Alabama. It is a beautiful town filled with tons of intelligent people (most who work for nasa). There really isn't much of a bad side of town, but if there is, it is the side of town I live in.

Sister Stahly and I are companions. Yes, your read that right. We are companions. We do not have trainers. We are learning by trial and error--lots of errors, lot's of slamming doors, lot's of "you are going to hell"s, and lots of tears. Haha. not that many you are going to hell's but a lot more looks.

Haha I have no idea what I am doing. We have two other sisters that stay in our apartment but they just give us some tips and then send us on our way. President said that my trainer is in Brazil. In the meantime, I am here 'to do good things." Which I am totally all for-I just would like to know how to do those things. But I will learn eventually. Hopefully I just don't do too much damage in the learning.

Oh, Blake, you will be happy to know that I am in fact riding a bike.

It's hard being in the South. I've been a mormon my entire life in the south, but I never walked around with it written on my chest. I've never had a problem getting people to like me. It has always been sort of easy for me. Not here.

I was informed that one church actually paid 30 million dollars nation wide to fight what I'm doing-a church that is predominately southern. My first reaction was to say, "what a waste of money." But I chose to keep my mouth shut.

It's sad because all I'm doing is trying to bring others to Christ. But to many what I am doing is bringing damnation rather than salvation. It has been a test of my faith-that's for sure.

I'm not going to lie, I've wanted to go home a few times this week. I actually started crying at a member's house at dinner yesterday. That was a bit embarrassing, but I played it off pretty well. But each time I feel like that I always just remind myself what it is I am actually doing. Why I am here- even in Alabama. It won't be easy. I didn't expect it to. And I shouldn't be surprised at just how difficult it is. Each time I get down, I think of Christ. His life. And each time I think of him, I know that my negativity is only me being selfish. Who am I to say that it is hard? Christ suffered beyond we can even begin to imagine and all he asked in return is that we share what we know, the way to receiving His gift, with others. He never promised it would be easy, but he did promise it would be fulfilling.

But anyway...that is enough of being negative. I'm sure you all are shaking your heads. I have met some great people.

Bruce on his porch yelling at me from across the way, "You must be God's people." He was fun to talk to and was an answer to a prayer. "You just remember when everyone is a yellin and a starin that they wish they were out here doing what ya'll be doin." We will see him again this week.

Then there was Abby who was crying at a picnic table because her boyfriend had just done and said terrible things to her. We sat and listened to her while she told us all about everything. While we were talking to her, her boyfriend showed up. I told her I would get rid of him...don't think to much on it dad. He was already laughing at me as I walked up to him. "You one of those Jesus freaks." I don't remember what my reply was. But then he started walking past me, and little five foot three me got up in front of him and said, "You aren't going to talk to her, Dustin." haha His face was so funny when he asked how I knew his name....My reply (I know this was bad of me, but it just flew out..."God told me." haha his face was priceless. Needless to say, he walked the other direction.

I then told Abby that God loved her and wanted much more for her than she was giving herself. I told her that she wasn't to talk to Dustin again and that I would be calling to make sure she didn't. I called later that night, and she hadn't. We will see her this week.

And then there was Brenda who was ordering a headstone for her daughters grave when we met her. She didn't want to listen to a thing we said. She told us that she believed in God, but not in everything that he said. God has said that he won't give us anthing we aren't able to handle, and she didn't believe that dealing with her daughter's death was something she could handle. I told her that we were here to help figure out a way that she could. And she told us that she believed that maybe we were. We will see her tonight.

Haha writing those out makes me want to cry. Because I am selfish. I wouldn't give up a single one of those door slams, if it meant that I wouldn't have met these three people. I am not sure what will happen. I might never see them again, but I do know I was suppossed to be there at those times.

It's a learning experience. And it's hard. It is so hard.

But I'm glad I'm here.

Thank ya'll for making it possible to be here.

I love ya'll.

President said that I'll be in Madison until I get my visa so ya'll can just write to 194 Shelton Road #149 Madison, Al 3578 or through dear elder.

No comments

Post a Comment