Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Me again.

Ok so thankfully...this week flew by. I love being a missionary, but every week was as long as that first week...I think I would go crazy.

I don't even know what to write...So much happens everyday.

This week hasn't been any easier, but my attitude sure has made it all that much better.

For one thing- I have had fun.

Each time somebody is somewhat less than nice...instead of dwelling on it- I just carry on the conversation I was having with Sister Stahly until we get to the next door. I'm so grateful to have Sister Stahly with me. Being with her out in the field (in a much more stressful environment) is a little bit different, but it is so nice to have a friend. We know when we are bugging each other. We know when to be quiet. And we know how to tell the other person to be so...in a nice way of course. Yea she talks a lot. Yea she is literally glued to my hip. But I love it. She is amazing. And I am so blessed to have her.

For one thing she has such a better head on her shoulders. FUnny story: So there were these two boys that "holl'd" at us from behind. They pulled onto the side of the street. Me being me, thought of course they saw we were missionaries and wanted to talk to us. Them- "Ya'll just getting off." Me: "No we are missionaries...we are always working." "OOOh missionaires...my brother used to talk to ya'll." We then found out that his brother is a member. Tevin told me that he would be at church. I told him that he should come. Gave him my number. Got his. And told him I would see him there.

We then start walking down the road. I'm going on and on about how cool it is that he would stop and talk to us. Sister stahly just kept quiet. And then it clicked..."He didn't know we were missionaries...did he?" Sister Stahly "Nope..."

The other two sisters we live with are great as well. Their names are sister Black and Muncy. Sister Muncy leaves in two transfers- so she is able to give us pointers on what we should be doing. Haha but that is about the only instruction Sister Stahly and I get. The way missions are run is really amazing. They send 19-21 years out. We have people to report to. We have rules to follow. But we do in the day is completely up to us. It is an honor to work with so many hard working and amazing people. It is an honor to be with these people that take what they do so seriously...yet have fun doing it.

The other thing I have learned to do- Be bold.

I was so nervous to say what I wanted to say to these people. I thought for sure that they would think me arrogant...but you know what...before they slam the door in my face, they already made up their mind that they were going to. So I say what I came to say...and when it is accepted then it makes my day. When it isn't, at least I said what I gave up 18 months of my life to say. I have found that the tone you say it in, makes all the difference. The smile that you keep on your face, makes all the difference.

The last thing Ihave learned (and I've said it before)- the people make it all the worth it.

I have met so many people. SO many amazing people. I always make sure I know their names- even the ones that don't show that much interest. A lot of times it surprises them when I call them by name. And a lot of time, that is what gets some interest.

I'll tell you about a few people I met this week.

I already told you about Bruce. We have actually taught him twice now and he has loved everything we have had to say- when he gives us time to say it. haha. He is a really neat man. He is super wealthy, but none of that matters to him. What matters is his family and his God. He actually has a son that is getting drafted for the NFL this year. He went on and on about him. But like I said, he loves everything we have had to say. It is actually kind of amazing how quick he was to have faith in our message and who we were. He says he will come to church with us this week.

There is Chris. We met him because someone had canceled on us (he was actually in his apartment but just didn't answer the door...haha that happens a lot...) But if he hadn't of canceled we never would have met Chris. He is a theology major. Surprisingly I was able to keep up with him...things that I had long since forgotten that I had learned in my religion classes at BYU were brought back to my memory (definitely a miracle). I think he was a little surprised (as was I to be honest). He loved everything we had to say about the Book of Mormon and we are meeting with him tomorrow.

Then there is Thadias. He actually lives in our complex. (there are six missionaries in our complex now...we have a senior couple that just moved in...I think people are starting to get a little nervous). He actually spoke a lot with the missionaries when he lived in Washington. He is a super fun guy and I love talking to him (as long as he has a shirt on...because that is a little bit distracting, as I think he is aware). Anyways we were talking to him in the parking lot one day and he was telling us about the time he spent investigating the church. We just sat there and listened to him. haha next thing I know I'm saying, "You know it's true." Haha my comment took him a little bit a back..but then he said.., "Yea...I guess ya'll should come over and teach me."

There are more. But I don't have time.

I'm loving it here. Everyday I learn more and more. Thanks for making this possible.

Love ya'll

Sister

Mckenzie

Powell

Oh and Britt, you bday card is going to be delivered by my sisters since I can't find your adress.

And megan...I just found the tapes that were suppossed to be in your package...not much has changed.

No comments

Post a Comment