Friday, October 15, 2010

HII!


Soo can I say how much I love it here?
I have learned so much the last few weeks. I have grown so much. It just doesn't stop. IT IS BLOWING MY MIND.
I finshed the Book of Mormon for the second time since I have been a missionary. What a great book. It truely is another testimony of Christ. If you havent' read it I encourage you too. What is keeping you from doing so? Everytime I read it I want to be better. Everytime I read it I come to know my Savior better.
I am half way through the New Testament. I love the Bible. I love hearing the stories of Jesus. Right now Sister Stahly and I are working on studying the teaching methods of Christ. What better teacher to aspire to be like than the Lord himself, right? I've learned so much. Christ was patient. He was kind. He was bold, He was repetitive, He lived His teachings. I love it all. Hopefully I will be done by the end of next week. I think I can do it.
So this was our first week in total Portuguese. There were many a times I seriously thought that I would bang my head against a wall. It is so hard, but somehow I was able to understand the things I know I needed to understand. And somehow when I was called on, I was able to say what I needed to say. Sure it was like pushing through a pile of snow to just get one word out, but I did it.
Wednesday Sister Stahly and I had to teach an entire lesson to someone in the TRC. It was all about the Restoration of the Gospel and God's love. I have born my testimony on in Portuguese a thousand times while being here, but I have never had to explain them in this funny language (it seriously is funny sounding). But I did it! haha. I have so much more to learn but I am learning. I've only been here a month and I am communicating in this language. We have gone over almost every grammar principle there is to go over...including the subjunctive so now it is pretty much practice, practice , practice.
I am so thankful that I know I have help in learning this, because I am pretty positive on my own there would be NO WAY.
Ok so funny story:

The elders have this thing where you stick a knife in another elder's pocket. And if you do it without noticing you are pretty much shunned. Well of course I never participate in such things but one of the elders begged me to help him so I reluctantly agreed ;) haha I was the "distraction." I sat over by the elders in another district and started to talk to them. It was so funny watching their stunned faces because I pretty much keep to myself and my district so this was very out of the ordinary. Elder Ertle snuck by and placed it in Elder King's front pocket (the ultimate place). haha not one person at that table noticed. not one. He could have knifed the entire table and they would have all been oblivous. When Elder King finally noticed after I left the whole table couldn't believe that I was sly enough to knife him...I let them believe it for a while. I know. I know. the fun we have at the MTC.
Ya'll, I wish I had more time to tell you everything that happens...

My testimony of the Savior's atonement has grown so much since being here. As my understanding of it increases, my want to be better grows. From it we can be free from all our sins. All he requires of us is that we love Him and keep His commandments. That we be the very best we can be. I have come to see (as I lay in bed forcing myself to go to sleep) that I have always been capable of living better, I just haven't. And that makes me sad, because it means that I was taking advantage of this beautiful gift that has been giving to me.

This place has made me want to be the best missionary I possibly can but also the best person I possibly can. And what is amazing is that throught the Atonement of Christ, I can be.

We all can be.
I love each and every one of you. Thank you for supporting me in this decision. It has been by far the best decision I ever made. I know I say that all the time but it so true.
until next week!
I'm praying for ya'll.
Pray for me...I need it.

No comments

Post a Comment