Saturday, September 11, 2010

Oi!


These past three days (I can't believe it has only been three days!) have been some of the best days of my life.
I'm serious.
I was so nervous before entering. I thought I was going to puke while sitting in the Wilk talking to everyone, but as soon as I put on my name tag-Irma Powell, (It should be Sister Powell but I haven't had time to fix it) I knew I was exactly where I wanted and should be. I've talked about being Sister Powell for as long as I can remember, so leaving behind McKenzie Powell for a while was surprisingly very easy.
I don't think I could begin to tell ya'll all that has happened, but I can say that each day I have been here I have worked harder than I've ever worked, grown more spiritually than I ever thought possible , and have had an amazing time doing it. Seriously I have had a blast.
I never realized how many things you can get done in just one day. I wake up at 5:30 and go to a kick boxing or yoga class, get ready (I've never been so grateful for my lack of needing to do anything to my hair), classes for about 8 hours a day, 1 hour of compainion study, 1 hour personal study, and 1 hour language study. The food here is great and if it wasn't for my lack of moving around I would have a field day. But because we are in class most of the day, I've decided that the salads and cereals are going to become a regular. We are in bed every night by 10:30. I thought I would have trouble sleeping, but I'm out as soon as my head hits the pillow.
My companions are absolutely amazing--Sister Stahly and Sister LeBaron. I was worried about being with someone all the time but these sisters have made it easy. (getting out of the habbit of saying girls has been hard!) haha.
Sister Stahly is from Knasas City and has a very similar humor and personality to mine which makes every day so much fun. She has a quickness to her that would be easy to become jealous of if she wasn't willing to use it to help the rest of us out.
Sister LeBaron is a sweetheart. She is such an example with her dedication to her calling. She is our senior companion (even though she has been here as long as I have) and always makes sure we are at each place on time and have met each of our goals. She seems very stressed a lot of the time and very worried about all that we have to do, but I know its just becasue she wants to do her very best.
I know its going to surprise everyone that knows me, but I'm not stressed out. I seriously am having the time of my lfie. I was pretty overwhelmed with all that is expected of us at first. Going from laying out every day to non-stop studying from 7-10 is quite the transition--not to mention trying to learn the language.
There is so much expected of us as missionaries.
And it is easy for that to scare the snot out of you (great image huh?)!
But that changed my first night during my personal study. I've been studying the attribute of humility and I came to realize that day that my fears and my worries were what was keeping me from being humble. The Lord gave me this calling. He knows that I can handle it. Being fearful and worring that I will not be able to do what is expected of me, only means that I'm relying more on myself than on God.
So then and there I made a goal that I would do my best to let go of my fears. To forget how French was my lowest grade in college. Not worry about how little I know the scriptures. But to just do my very best at doing everythigng that is required of me throughout each day. To follow every rule with exactness. To set reachable goals that will still stretch me to my limits.
I made a goal that I need to swallow my pride. I need to realize that there is no way that I will be able to do all this on my own, but if I do my very best, God will make up the gap.
I can tell you that making that goal has made the MTC that much more of an enjoyable experience--it's made it a fun experience. Every day I learn soemthing new and every day I accomplish goals I never dreamed possible. I know there will be days that I will struggle, because I'm a natural stressor, but it will make a difference in the long run.
For example, the first day our teachers (Brother Dodge and Shaeffer) told us that from then on out our prayers could only be in portuguese--all our prayers. At first I was flustered. How could I get my thoughts across in a language that I had only spent an hour learning? But I practiced and I practiced. And I prayed and prayed in portuguese. The next day I was the one that was called on to pray for the opening of our class. I was amazed when he looked at me and told me that I had done it without a single grammatical mistake because I never had practiced using the male tenses. But I was even more amazed that I did it smoothly and with confidience. Granted it was a simple prayer, but it was still me praying in a language I had just begun to learn the day before. I know that was God giving me a boost of encouragement--letting me know that I can in fact do this.
There are so many Elders and Sisters here who should be in Brazil. They had to more than double the amount of teachers to accomondate us all. A lot of the missionaries are very concerned because so many are having to be reassigned for a while to other missions until Visas come in. I would be a liar if I said I wasn't worried as well, but I know eveyrthing will work out the way it should.
I need to go. I haven't read over this, so excuse my awful wording and grammar. We only have three hourse of free time this week but next week I will have more. I haven't even had time to pick up my packages and won't be able til Mondy.
I love ya'll so much. I thought I would have a hard time leaving ya'll and all my friends. But I know that ya'll will be there when I get back. I know that things will change but it will be for the better.
I'd say I've been homesick, but it's be a lie.
I would like to have teddy though...
God loves us. I know he does.
Love ya'll.
Sister Powell!
 
Love you

1 comment

  1. I love you and it sounds like you're doing GREAT! I know you'll be a wonderful sister and things with your visa will work out! I'll write you this week!

    ReplyDelete